5-Way Switch for Ibanez HH - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

5-Way Switch for Ibanez HH

A friend dropped off an RGA121 for me to refret and do some general fixing. The pickup switch is really mangled, loose, and crackly so I'm thinking it needs to be replaced. However I have read in the past that Ibanez 5-way switches are not the standard kind, which is how they achieve this functionality:

1-neck series
2-neck parallel
3-neck in series, bridge in series, pickups in parallel
4-1 coil from each pickup in parallel
5-bridge series
(I can't post an image or link to the pickup switch functionality for some reason)

So I'm wondering, where can I get a replacement switch? And if possible, are there any switch options out there that are more mechanically durable than the stock switch? It reminds me of the type that would come in a MIM fender or a squier, not like a mechanical CRL or Switchcraft switch which I prefer to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:31 PM

It's called a superswitch, do a search on the bay and you'll find dozens, don't bother with the US stuff, it's not metric and won't fit properly.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: 5-Way Switch for Ibanez HH

Ibanez had switches made by Cortek for this specific function, they, re not the super switches. The model is 3PS1SC5 from memory
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Ibanez had switches made by Cortek for this specific function, they, re not the super switches. The model is 3PS1SC5 from memory

I think this is just what I need. I noticed the actual switch inside the guitar says "2502N", is that the same thing? A quick internet search seems to suggest yes but I'm unsure.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the Stew-Mac Oak-Grigsby super switch will fit. I found a wiring diagram for it on youtube as well (can't post links?) so I'm going to go with that. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegardner0 View Post
Looks like the Stew-Mac Oak-Grigsby super switch will fit. I found a wiring diagram for it on youtube as well (can't post links?) so I'm going to go with that. Thanks for the help!
The mounting hole centres won't match, they're not metric. I did mention this earlier.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
I think this is just what I need. I noticed the actual switch inside the guitar says "2502N", is that the same thing? A quick internet search seems to suggest yes but I'm unsure.
Yes that's it from memory
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Quote:
The mounting hole centres won't match, they're not metric. I did mention this earlier.
I don't think that's true. I just double checked my measurement, the mounting holes centers are exactly 1 5/8" apart, which is exactly what Stew Mac says the switch is. I ordered it so we'll see when it arrives.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Ok I received the Stew-Mac switch and I can confirm it fits perfectly into the RGA121. The mounting holes definitely line up and the switch (barely) fits into the control cavity depth-wise.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I wired this up over the weekend using the Stew-Mac superswitch. Lots of connections on the switch! But it works well and now the guitar has a much better switching feel IMO.

Wiring Diagram I came up with (switch needs to be turned 180 degrees in the guitar fyi)

Tags
rga121 , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode