6105 Frets - Enlighten me - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 AM

Re: 6105 Frets - Enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How do you play with action that high
The action is only 1.5mm at the 24th fret, your eyes are decieving you. It's actually too low. https://i.imgur.com/GKAiWXq.jpg - When it's that low you can't play the guitar with any dynamics, all my other guitars are a fair bit higher.

Last edited by BigBazz; 08-08-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:58 AM
Vendor

The 7V looks about .5, I don't know what frets those are and could be the angle.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
The 7V looks about .5, I don't know what frets those are and could be the angle.
7V has a snapped neck, the strings are loose so the bridge is angled back. 7V Action was quite a bit higher when it was alive and kicking.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
The action is only 1.5mm at the 24th fret, your eyes are decieving you. It's actually too low. https://i.imgur.com/GKAiWXq.jpg - When it's that low you can't play the guitar with any dynamics, all my other guitars are a fair bit higher.
You understand it was a joke, right?
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: 6105 Frets - Enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I did!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I don't think it was a joke, the action looks very high in the picture. I'd be concerned too.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Vendor

I was talking about the 7V, it was definitely a joke.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
A couple of years ago, I made an off hand comment about how easy a dealer spec'd guitar was to play, to the dealer who spec'd guitar. "6105 frets" was all that was said but with a sense of pride and knowledge born out of experience. The blank look on my face probably suggested to the dealer we were not on the same page regarding fret knowledge, so I received a brief but valuable lecture on 6105 frets.

"6105 frets are tall and skinny and make Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire the guitar easier to play." More was said but this was the basic theme. I think we were asking ourselves these 2 questions though: "Why don't I know this?" and "Why doesn't he know this?" Some guitar companies allow you to choose the frets on your guitar, but most do not, resulting in the ubiquitous "Jumbo" fret which seems to come in a variety of sizes.

Most JEM's and JS's come with 6105 frets (correct me if I'm wrong) and I imagine there is a reason for it beyond the summary I gave. It seems to be a detail that got lost in the "sofa cushions of guitar knowledge" and never made it down to younger generations of guitarists.

If you have any additional insight into why 6105 frets standout or your reasons for liking them or disliking them, I would like to hear about it.
Over the years and in between the “sofa cushions of guitar knowledge,” fret wire information was lost, yet guitars still have frets, usually labeled as “Jumbo.”

Last edited by govindkori; 03-02-2020 at 03:30 AM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
The 7V looks about .5, word counter I don't know what frets those are and could be the angle.
I am really grateful for your sharing, it is helping me right now!

Last edited by chinachin; 05-27-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode