6105 Frets - Enlighten me - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

6105 Frets - Enlighten me

A couple of years ago, I made an off hand comment about how easy a dealer spec'd guitar was to play, to the dealer who spec'd guitar. "6105 frets" was all that was said but with a sense of pride and knowledge born out of experience. The blank look on my face probably suggested to the dealer we were not on the same page regarding fret knowledge, so I received a brief but valuable lecture on 6105 frets.

"6105 frets are tall and skinny and make the guitar easier to play." More was said but this was the basic theme. I think we were asking ourselves these 2 questions though: "Why don't I know this?" and "Why doesn't he know this?" Some guitar companies allow you to choose the frets on your guitar, but most do not, resulting in the ubiquitous "Jumbo" fret which seems to come in a variety of sizes.

Most JEM's and JS's come with 6105 frets (correct me if I'm wrong) and I imagine there is a reason for it beyond the summary I gave. It seems to be a detail that got lost in the "sofa cushions of guitar knowledge" and never made it down to younger generations of guitarists.

If you have any additional insight into why 6105 frets standout or your reasons for liking them or disliking them, I would like to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:46 AM
Vendor

Re: 6105 Frets - Enlighten me

I've always considered 6105's a medium fret at best. They are not particularly tall, and they're definitely not narrow, in contrast to actual tall frets and narrow frets.
peromucho7 and Rachmaninoff like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've always considered 6105's a medium fret at best. They are not particularly tall, and they're definitely not narrow, in contrast to actual tall frets and narrow frets.
Do they have any qualities that might make them preferable compared to other frets? Subjective opinions are welcome.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:02 AM
Vendor

Steve and Joe like them?

They're not too tall, not too short, not too fat, not too skinny. Goldilocks would say they're just right.
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Along with the neck profile, these 6105 frets, and many other features, I've only wanted to play my Jems exclusively for the last 13 years. When I first picked up my new JEM 7VWH in 2006, I had quite a herd of high end shred guitars. After one rehearsal on the JEM, I knew , for me, I had found what I had been searching for in a guitar.....nothing had ever felt so right. I did try quite a few other Ibanez guitars along the way,,but they came and went. To me, speaking of just these frets....they make the fretboard seem more "slippery" and easy to glide around on...just so easy to play. Compared to the JUMBO frets on many other guitars, which in which the guitar neck felt more like a railroad track. It's all preference of course, but after playing big Jumbo frets most of my life, I just fell hard for the buttery, satin like feel of a neck with the 6105 fretwire. And, of course, the neck of the JEM and basically everything on it, to this day, I still wouldn't change a thing in what I want in a guitar. In the end, ended up selling all of my other guitars and getting more JEMS from the same time frame (77VBK, 77BRMR, ) Previously, in 2005, I sold all of my amps to fund a Soldano SLO 100.....so, to this day, my JEM guitars and Soldanos, still the ONLY things I want to play.
GearBoxTy and Hoseki like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Is that actually what's on most JS and Jems?

I have a 77fp and a PGM 100 both have identical fretwork as did my (now sadly sold) 777VBK. My JS1000 BTB is noticeably smaller.

I've seen earlier Jem FPs listed as 6100s and later ones as Jumbo. The JSs are listed as 6105s but seem relatively small, which coupled with the more pronounced radius feels more stratty than the Jem/PGMs I've owned.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM

My FP2 has the 6105's. I really like them, not really sure why. I think perhaps it's something to do with being able to feel the fingerboard a little more but still being able to facilitate stunt-guitar overbends and other wankeries. Can get the strings closer to the fingerboard too, maybe that makes the action seem more "intimate" without having too much fret choke. Just thoughts. They are nice though, Rich said it well, they're in the "goldilocks" zone.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
My FP2 has the 6105's. I really like them, not really sure why. I think perhaps it's something to do with being able to feel the fingerboard a little more but still being able to facilitate stunt-guitar overbends and other wankeries. Can get the strings closer to the fingerboard too, maybe that makes the action seem more "intimate" without having too much fret choke. Just thoughts. They are nice though, Rich said it well, they're in the "goldilocks" zone.
Good description!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. Tall frets (which 6105 are considered to be) are said to be easier to play because you do not need to press down as hard making playability effortless, or "like butter." Rich's literary analogy is wisely accurate. 6105 frets are efficient frets: precision without extraneous material.

There is a thorough chart, a nice comparison photo halfway down, and some "thoughts" that may or not be reasonable towards the end:
Fretwire chart
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM

There is something interesting about the 6105 frets because apparently both my Jem 7VWH (1994) and Jem 777 Anniversary should have the same W/6105 frets and yet that is not the case, the frets on the 7V are wider more like 6100.

Could definitely use some higher quality scans of the old catalogues, that is barely readable.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

That scan actually points out the heart of the matter. Over the years and in between the “sofa cushions of guitar knowledge,” fret wire information was lost, yet guitars still have frets, usually labeled as “Jumbo.”
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
That scan actually points out the heart of the matter. Over the years and in between the “sofa cushions of guitar knowledge,” fret wire information was lost, yet guitars still have frets, usually labeled as “Jumbo.”
I wish I could find out for sure, I split the headstock at the nut on my 7V and am having it repaired + refretted in september. I'd ideally like the same fret size it had before, but if the catalogue says 6105 for both my guitars then why are they different? I like the frets on the 777 30th but they are not as hefty as on the 7V, I kinda like the contrast in fret size though.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I wish I could find out for sure, I split the headstock at the nut on my 7V and am having it repaired + refretted in september. I'd ideally like the same fret size it had before, but if the catalogue says 6105 for both my guitars then why are they different? I like the frets on the 777 30th but they are not as hefty as on the 7V, I kinda like the contrast in fret size though.
Did you buy it new or could it have been altered before?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did you buy it new or could it have been altered before?
I bought the 7V used in January 2005, but it was basically an unused closet queen until I got my hands on it. The 777 I bought new. https://imgur.com/a/NGamfPT - Album with more pics.

Take into account the 7V has been played live consistently since 2005, it's had a beating and there is considerable wear, pink case is actually the 7V's I just keep the 777 in that case now since I use it live and prefer to use the already beat up case.

Last edited by BigBazz; 08-08-2019 at 12:49 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:52 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I bought the 7V used in January 2005, but it was basically an unused closet queen until I got my hands on it. The 777 I bought new. https://imgur.com/a/NGamfPT - Album with more pics.

Take into account the 7V has been played live consistently since 2005, it's had a beating and there is considerable wear, pink case is actually the 7V's I just keep the 777 in that case now since I use it live and prefer to use the already beat up case.
How do you play with action that high

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode