7 string Axis humbucker question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

7 string Axis humbucker question

I have a RG-7420 7 string. This was Ibanez's low end 7 string. (discontinued)

The Axis humbuckers are microphonic at high gain and the bridge pu has alot of hum (not fully humcancelling)

I guess new replacements would be expensive so I need info on modifying the pu's.

Q- When I parafin/bees wax dip the pu's should the hockey tape be on the pu's or put on after potting?

Q- Can I correct the humcancelling inbalance by using a digital meter to measure dc resistance as I remove windings from the hotter coil?

Q- Should the coils be exact match dc resistance or slightly off by 100 ohms for tone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:35 AM

Re: 7 string Axis humbucker question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGtr
I guess new replacements would be expensive
not really. 7 string humbuckers can be had new for $60-70 and used as low as $30 each. people here on jemsite are trying to dump pairs of the DiMarzio New 7 pickups from the RG 762X guitars all the time.

Quote:
Q- When I parafin/bees wax dip the pu's should the hockey tape be on the pu's or put on after potting?
unwrap, then dip, then put back on, and then you can dip again. parafin wax is flammable, so i highly recommend reading an on-line tutorial on how to do this [melting in a double pot].

Quote:
Q- Can I correct the humcancelling inbalance by using a digital meter to measure dc resistance as I remove windings from the hotter coil?
i find it highly unlikely that this is the reason for an audible hum. sure, the two coils could be off a little bit, but i don't think they'd be so far off as to cause loud buzzing.

more likely, the noise is from incomplete shielding, in the pickup or in some of the cavities in your guitar. you can shield more over the conductive paint with copper foil. you should also "star ground" all the ground wires to one point in the guitar, if you haven't already -- this reduces noise as well.

messing with the hair-thin wires of the pickup windings is very difficult and almost always a recepie for irreversibly destroying the pickup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode