7 String Floyd Rose special - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

7 String Floyd Rose special

Just bought a new 7 string with a "floyd rose special".

Does anybody know what the bridge radius is please? Jackson seem to think its 12", the floyd website say that ORIGINAL floyd 7's are 20".

So what on earth is the 7 string floyd rose special?

Kind regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Re: 7 String Floyd Rose special

I bet its 12. Dont know till you get it though. I do trust the specials. I have 2 of the 6 strings versions. There are just as good as the originals. Can't wait to try the 7.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I have the guitar now she is a beauty! How can i check the radius of the bridge?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis08ltd View Post
I have the guitar now she is a beauty! How can i check the radius of the bridge?
I think to accurately check it (assuming you can't get the specs from the manufacturer) you would need a radius gauge.

I have these: Stew-Mac Radius Gauges

... but there's gotta be a lower-tech solution out there somewhere. I think if you did a Google image search for "guitar radius gauges" you'd find something that you could print out. Or, you could try making your own.

Once you have a gauge of some sort, set the various curves on the bridge saddles until you find the one that seems to fit the curve the best (none will probably be exact, esp. if you fashioned your own gauges). The one that seems to fit the best is likely your bridge radius.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Would i measure UNDER the strings or on top?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Hello,
This will help - Mark a center point on a sheet of paper and then go from that center point out to the requested number of inches. Next take a long flat and thin stick or something to that affect drill a tiny hole into it so you can use either a nail screw or push pin basically hold it down at the first mark exactly. Hold the original point then go up to your second mark ( the number of desired inches and draw part of a circle from the second mark using a pen or pencil(preferably a pencil in case you need to redo the circle) This will give you the radius of what it is you are after if you have to find out the radius of another part simply repeat the same process but go out a different amount of inches from the starting point until you can draw your second partial circle. It's fairly easy to do.

If you don't want to mess with it; if you like to work on your own guitars I would suggest having on hand a set of radius gauges anyway. Universal Jems sells a radius gauges for every radius out there I think. They even have one for 430mm old ibanez guitars which are hard to find. I am assuming he is having them made and that's how he got the 430mm radius which is close to but not exactly 17''; it is very close though.

Some of the new MIJ models also use this radius. I don't handle many indo's, mostly MIJ I know ibanez has also used 20'' radius on their fingerboards. But you mentioned another brand correct? Hope that was helpful. PM me if you want to go the radius gauge route and I can send you the link to where to find Universal Jems, it is run by Brian C. His company has no affiliation with mine so just for Jemsite I'm not trying to sell you something I was merly telling you how to get the radius without buying the gauge unless you would rather not bother with it. It is simple but everyone should have a good set of radius gauges if you plan on doing the wrok on your guitars yourself; which is always a good thing to practice with the growing number of bad unexperienced guitar techs out there in the world; not everyone but some guys really have no business working guitars for a shop because they do nothing but mess up their customer guitars for money lol. I know I want my guitars to be well taken care of and not by some hack that doesn't know enough. There's a local shop about 20 miles from my house that instead of doing fretwork they just tell there techs to always give the neck some relief lol like that would make the neck trouble better (unless the neck is to far back like going from 9 gauge strings to 11's). Instead of doing a a fret dress as well with the truss rod adjustment and setup. Besides it would just make your guitar play worse and make the action higher. That is if it needed to be serviced, not saying there's anything wrong with your guitars or you don't know what's up

Hope I was of some help to you with my long winded response if you have already found your answer maybe some of this info will come in handy in the future
Good luck my friend,
Michael777

Tags
floyd , jackson , radius , rose , special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode