7V trem issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

7V trem issues

I recently bought a (well) used 7V and the trem doesn't return to the neutral point consistently. I've had this problem with other guitars with OFRs and the solution has always been just to replace the trem springs.

So, I toddle off to the local store, buy some springs, install them and then find that they're not even close to being 'tough' enough i.e. with 9s tuned to E and the trem claw fully tightened, the bridge is standing waaaay up. Totally unusable. So did I just buy **** springs or is there something 'special' about the springs for a Jem? The new springs I bought are the same length as those that came out of the guitar, but they're much easier to stretch.

And is there any other cause or a secret remedy for Edge trems that won't balance?

The serial is F0100429 which I think makes it 2001. And date aside, I figure the bridge is just a regular low-pro Edge as it doesn't look like the 'Pro' from what I have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: 7V trem issues

Oh, and I should clarify - I set the trem up as suggested in the tech setup FAQs on the front page. And while I'm no professional, I have a pretty good idea how to set up a guitar so I'm hoping this is a quick adjustment, or just some new springs!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilli View Post
So, I toddle off to the local store
Long & McQuade or Tom Lee? I lived in Vancouver for many years.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Tom Lee. Yay. Or, perhaps Not yay. LOL It's closer to me than L&M, but they're pretty hopeless. The tech is cool though, as is 1 of the sales guys. But their stock is pretty sad, and most of the staff are, shall we say, less than adequate?...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Vendor

How is it going out of tune? You do what, and it does what?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

When I use the bar and release it, it 'rests' flat (when I depress the bar) and when I pull up it rests sharp.

I can get it back by pulling / pushing the bar as appropriate, but obviously, that's not ideal. Like I said, new trem springs has worked when I've had this issue with an OFR...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Vendor

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich! I've pulled the bridge out now and I'm gonna re-check those links and go from there.

What does the set-screw in the trem post actually do? I thought it locked it in place, but I've just removed one perfectly happily, with the set screw locked (I can't get it to budge).

Last edited by neilli; 12-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM

If someone has tried to back the set screw all the way out, it well often bind and give the impression of being locked. Just apply a little force and it should free right up. I once got a guitar where someone had installed the lock screws upside down!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man - I'll give that a try. But what is the screw actually for? Just as a 'marker' so you can refit the post at the same height?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM

The lock screw literally 'locks' the post so that it won't wobble in it the sleeve.

Makes things a bit more stable.

If you're not a real trem abuser you can get away without them, but if you like to get "Vai-olent" with it, always a big plus.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that! I'm not exactly Vai, but anything that gives it some more stability must be good!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 AM

I only say 'get away without them' because I have two guitars with Edge Pros and haven't gotten around to swapping the anchors (or doing Rich's mod) and since I don't go crazy with the vibrato I've had no noticeable problems with tuning. ALL bars will go out a bit, one way or the other, you can't totally eliminate friction, but as long as your ears don't hear it, it's nothing to worry about.
It's only when the thing goes so far out that you don't need a tuner to notice it that you have a problem.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Hey!

I've got an 02 7VSBL with an Edge Lo-Pro. I added a brass block & new springs and it is much smoother, warmer, and more stable now. Returns to true pretty consistently now even when trilling and/or doing big trem bends (up or down). I do a few Vai covers so I have definitely run it through its paces...

I'm too much of a newbie here on Jemsite to be allowed to post links, but check out FloydUpgrades.com. Very cool people, absolutely top notch products. They have pro quality spring upgrades on there for very reasonable prices (like $10 for a set of 3, if I remember correctly).

I used the noiseless springs and found I didn't realize how noticeable the noise from the old springs bled through until I replaced them... I have since replaced the springs on 4 axes with these noiseless babies. But they also have "heavy duty" springs if you really wanna stiffen things up. That's what actually prompted me to post this.

And I can't say enough good things about these trem tone blocks. There are a few companies out there making these things but FU seems to be the most consistent to me, and they have very fast service. I have purchased brass blocks for my Edge Lo-Pro, Edge III, and OFR's and the difference is night and day. I'm considering springing for a Titanium block (they only have them for the OFR's currently) from them to compare against the brass... but i digress...

To be honest, I am seriously considering having them custom build me a titanium OFR to replace the Lo-Pro on my Jem. This guitar is my main axe and I lovit so much I would really like it to have the best of everything, ya know? The tonal difference is supposed to be huge with not only the titanium tone block (bigger & more mass on an OFR style than you can use on a Lo-Pro) but also titanium saddles & string blocks. Not cheap but it'll never wear out like the pot-metal Edge will. Still not quite ready to spend that kind of cash on a new trem when I have mine working pretty darn nicely though...

Anyway best of luck to you & your Jem trem!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM

1 thing i do to my trem i put like lip balm on the kinfe edges so its a little more stabler you should try it

Tags
trem problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode