7vwh fret wire - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

7vwh fret wire

i just bought this used and noticed the fret wire had indents in them where the strings pass over them? is this normal or are they already worn out?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Vendor

It's fretwear of course but if it's worn out or just worn is up to you. Does it cause any problems? If so it can always be ground out with a fret level. That can be done many times until the height of the fret left gets too short and causes it's own problems.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks

for that quick response!
it dosnt seem to be causing any problems. i get a little buzzing and so far i tried the string change and setting it up to the SPECS on the site but it is still there. i checked the neck and its straight.
one other annoying problem is the G strig 15TH fret won't ring long like its rubbing a fret somewhere.
is there a good place to have the frets ground down? or will ibanez do it?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Vendor

Straight neck is one way to setup but dial in some relief to minimize the bizz. Ask around for a competent local tech to take care of the fretwork. No reason to ship if you don't have to.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

tech

everytime i seem to hire someone they screw stuff up on me

i was thinking with my construction background and cabinet making skills that i may attempt to dress the neck myself. read some on the NET about it and it dosnt seem to hard to do.

it just seems some of the frets have some deep grooves and i dont know if this can be saved or not? i hope it dosn't need a fret job! i am kicking myself for not checking this out before i bought it
i have sanding blocks so i would still need a file to bring the frets back to round again. i have a dremel to polish the frets back to a mirror shine.

what fret wire is stock on the 7VWH? my guess is medium but is it HIGH/high? medium /medium?
thanks again
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Vendor

For a novice I'd suggest the long levelling bar Stew Mac sells, makes the job a no brainer [but about as expensive the first time as a pro job]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

warmouth

says the fret wire is narrow and tall.

man they look really worn now that a take a look at it.

is there a way to know if they are to worn to fix?
i still can bring back the guitar and get my money back from guitar center but i kind of like this one.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:07 AM
Vendor

Show it to somebody who's answer you might trust?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:41 AM

ie, send a pic to rich

By the way rich, u still gonna help me out on that protruding fret problem i have on the high e side of the fretboard? I seriously don't wanna pay to have that fixed, and I fear they'll completely botch up my baby.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

welp

i guess i am going to return it
so much for owning a 7VWH i asked around and a fret replacement plus what i paid gets me near a new 7VWH. someone must of played this guitar for 24 hrs straight from when it was born in 2001

but i am still waiting for my green meanie parts from wayne charvel to get finished i think i am in the 6 or 7 month so far and everyone says it takes a year so i am halfway there

i guess when i return it i will get some cheap replacement to the charvel shows up or be guitarliss.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

PIC

here is a pic to see if the frets can be dressed.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:35 PM

if u realy like this vwh why dont you just have it re freted??

i know it might cost a bit but its worth it if you realy like this one.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Vendor

I've gotta say if it was more in focus I could see it better, but from what I see it looks DEEP. If the depth is near halfway through the fret I'd return it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

ok

ok
its about half way threw i tried to get close as i could but it wouldn't take focus. must need a better digicam.

thanks for your advice and time on my problem.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:06 AM

From that pic I can say pretty easily . . . HOLY SH!T! ;-)

Looks pretty deep, but if you like the guitar go ahead and get a refret, even if it were a cheap RG 350 if you like the tone and the feel it's worth the cost.

Just ask around and find someone that won't just slap them on, even if it costs a little more to get it done right, new frets with last for years if installed properly.

My RG 550 is 15 years old, been through hell and back twice and still has the original frets, leveled and crowned by me only once (when I still had access to the tools and only because I was bored ) and it still plays great.

Mic

Tags
fret level , fret wire , jim donahue , straight neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode