'87 RG550 Neck pocket crack, worth fixing? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

'87 RG550 Neck pocket crack, worth fixing?

I recently bought an an old RG550,, it plays and sounds amazing, and has the best feeling neck I've ever held. However, it does have a crack in the neck pocket on the top side, facing me while I am holding it. The crack is visibly in the wood, not just the finish, but it doesn't look bad (yet). I've heard these cracks are common on guitars with square heel joints like strats and these old RGs, and I had it set up by a luthier right after I got it and he didn't say anything about it so I don't feel that I should be too concerned, but I do use the trem bar quite a bit for hard dive bombs and I worry it could get worse with time. Is this something I should have fixed? And what's the cost of this sort of repair? I don't want to end up with a neck/body crack like Vai's EVO lol. I've included some pictures, I had horribly hard time getting my iPhone camera to focus for some reason, but they give a good idea of the crack. For what it's worth, the guitar stays in tune perfectly, better than my RG with a hardtail and Locking tuners, so I don't think stability or playability has been affected by the crack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 PM

It doesn't look bad, frankly if it does eventually open up that will make it much easier to repair.
I wouldn't worry about it, it was made to be played, so play it, too many case queens lurking on these fora already.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: '87 RG550 Neck pocket crack, worth fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
It doesn't look bad, frankly if it does eventually open up that will make it much easier to repair.
I wouldn't worry about it, it was made to be played, so play it, too many case queens lurking on these fora already.
Fair point. And believe me, its no case queen, its definitely got some nice wear on it and I play it for 2-4 hours a day. And I don't play my guitars gently lol.

Tags
crack , ibanez , neck , repair , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode