'91 Ibanez Edge Saddles - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

'91 Ibanez Edge Saddles

Are the saddles supposed to have something at the bottom stopping the string from touching the baseplate of the guitar?
I was changing strings (for the first time ever on a FR) and one of the blocks that tightens the string came out. I had a TERRIBLE time trying to get them back in because they kept falling through to the bottom.
I looked and a youtube video showed a guy's Floyd Rose (not edge) and it had little "pads" at the bottom the saddle to stop the string from touching the baseplate, these do not. Should they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: '91 Ibanez Edge Saddles

diagram here
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah saw that diagram many times last night as I googled for an answer.
I appreciate the reply; it doesn't seem to actually help answer the question. Unless maybe I am missing something?

The "string lock block" was just sliding through and going to the bottom.
Sadly that picture and almost any other picture does not show the bottom of the actual saddle itself in enough detail for me to understand if the saddle has any type of "pad" or bottom to stop the lock block from just falling through the hole in the saddle.

For better reference maybe this picture will help:

I am not inquiring about the brighter colored copper that is a shim in this picture but actually the darker brass "inside" the saddle itself.
Do Original Ibanez Edge saddles have this? Or are they supposed to?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 AM
site founder 0% owner

Don't have saddles handy but from memory, the baseplate makes the floor (unless a shim is used). The indent of the "string lock block" keeps that in place via "string lock screw". Don't loosen the screw more than needed to pull out the string and this should never be an issue in my experience. YMMV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (9.2 KB, 25 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Don't have saddles handy but from memory, the baseplate makes the floor (unless a shim is used). The indent of the "string lock block" keeps that in place via "string lock screw". Don't loosen the screw more than needed to pull out the string and this should never be an issue in my experience. YMMV.
This is my first Ibanez, first Floyd Rose etc.
I didn't intend to pull it out too far but I did somehow, LOTS of learning going on for sure.
I think maybe the saddle had been shimmed, I am going to try to go to a local guy and have him look at it with me.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

goes right back in i recommend taking the trem off your guitar and really examining it vs the diagram it will be a great learning opportunity. quick saddle shim search picture attached... would go under the saddle & be held in with the "intonation lock screw". You don't need them typically with 430mm radius neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 236349482_tp.jpg (8.1 KB, 23 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
goes right back in i recommend taking the trem off your guitar and really examining it vs the diagram it will be a great learning opportunity. quick saddle shim search picture attached... would go under the saddle & be held in with the "intonation lock screw". You don't need them typically with 430mm radius neck.
I appreciate the help.
I was nervous to take the whole thing apart thinking I would never get it back together and setup correctly etc.
I may need to just do it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Vendor

Edge saddles have a little plate under the lock block that acts as a floor of the saddle. They break off, once it breaks off the lock has no bas to sit against and falls thru. You can use tape like the garage fix above.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Edge saddles have a little plate under the lock block that acts as a floor of the saddle. They break off, once it breaks off the lock has no bas to sit against and falls thru. You can use tape like the garage fix above.
Do you mean the picture I posted?
I would suspect the plate sort of sits up a little in the saddle?
or is flush ok?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Vendor

It's flush. It's almost like it's tacked on at it's corners [I don't know how you do that with zinc] but once they fail and fall off you lose the base of the saddle that prevents the lock block from falling thru.
thembones likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 PM

On the high e-string you don't need to turn back the screw so much that the block will fall through, because the string is thin enough and the screw will still hold the block with the indentation. You can exchange saddles, if it is not already the saddle of the high e-string.

Tags
edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode