AANJ conversion on UV neck - has anyone tried it? Is it hard - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

AANJ conversion on UV neck - has anyone tried it? Is it hard

Another step towards starting up my little project (a description of it is floating around somewhere on the forum) is deciding wether I want to stick with the standard bolt on neck or go with an AANJ. It is sort of a step I have to decide on now rather than later so I can start planning everything out properly...

The problem I have is that I have an old-style bolt on universe neck that is to be used for this project (of a UV7BK), so If i am to get an AANJ body, then I am going to need to do a neck conversion on it (or have it done by someone else).

So is this hard to do? What are the problems associated with doing it? Has anyone done it/attempted to do it? Has anyone done it on a UV neck? If the conversion is done, how can you tell it matches a AANJ (The reason I am asking this is because I want to order a body from custom guitar wares, but don't really want to ship the neck there and back (customs and all that, and expense, and risk of losing it))?

And finally...if I decide it's too risky for me to do (I would prefer not to screw it up...) is there anyone out there who feels comfortable/confident enough to do it? (Of course for some form of reimbursement for effort (also known as money))

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 06:44 PM

AANJ conversion on UV neck

Hi James

I have done this type of convertion on a standard 6 string neck and if your going to do it your really going to want to have the neck finished and sent in to make the pocket on the body.

Your kind of in a catch 22 though, let me explain......

The first thing you need to do is to add a block of wood to the neck under the fret board where it extends at frets 22-24 since every AANJ body I have ever seen has the neck pocket going right up to the neck humbucker cavity.

Then of course you need to shave and re-contour the top of the heal on the back of the neck to conform to the shape of the body. which is kind of hard to do without the body being present, see what I mean?

Peace, Brian
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 AM

Re: AANJ conversion on UV neck - has anyone tried it? Is it hard

I'm doing a DIY on a JEM since I don't seem to have $1,000's of dollars in my back pocket!! Not trying to sound holier than thou but I know I can do this as a G.I.T. grad (89). So I've held a few guitars. So I bought a beautiful JEM neck ,but it has close to a square neck? There is a slight 5/8ths" curve on the end but of course it's under the last 4 scalloped frets which part of will need to be removed for the overhang.
Over the years I've supplemented my income and became a pretty good carpenter,but I'm a bit perplexed as to the challenge of the AANJ? I guess I can blow up a photo to copy? Once I get the overhang done (I'm thinking table saw with a new blade to avoid splintering the wood). Then hopefully get a snug fit trace the curve with a pencil then getting it close with a steady dremel ,NOT TO CLOSE! I can finish starting with 80-100 grit and work up to 360-400 grit maybe wet sanding? Been awhile,I can't remember it wet sanding entails wd-40? Or if I can use a drop or two of h20? If it's the latter the yea. Any one out there have a more ...safe process? LOL!!!! THANKS.
Can't upload a simple PHOTO!!!!!

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitar wares , fret board , neck finish , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode