AANJ screws - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

AANJ screws

just purchased 2 mij ibanez 470xl's need neck screws...ibanez rules has like 4 diffrent sets not sure wich ones i need...any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Re: AANJ screws

I would get the MIJ set. I would think it would be two long and two short screws. Email Rich to make sure.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Seriously!! Go to Allparts, Stewmac, Warmoth and buy neck screws suitable for use with ferrules. Ibanez have certainly not come up with some weird proprietary screw.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 120

So do hardware stores, and they are even cheaper.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Vendor

I tell people to go to the hardware store all the time, and they tell me, "no, I want the right screw".

Ibanez uses 3 different lengths and 2 different diameters and head sizes with 3 different ferrules.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM

yeah, you'd think they would all be the same but they are not. sometimes there are 2 short ones,, sometimes all 4 are the same length. I got my last set from All Parts but that was only b/c I was ordering a bunch of stuff. Otherwise, it would have been off to the hardware store up the street. Although hardware stores don't always have black ones.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM

You can always paint the screw head black.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
You can always paint the screw head black.
Ive taken out my black marker before actually ive spray painted screws..trem claw on a project once. Did them red and it worked great!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM

Finding what you need when you don't have screws to compare them to is difficult. Rich has told me to go to the hardware store before too but I still bought a set from him because at least I had one correct set to search for.

Saying that, I paint screw heads all the time if they are screws that are not easily attainable.

I take a wire wheel to them first and clean off the years of crap in the crevices and then paint them, black normally. They look great. Use a flat black and it looks like the anodized black. When it wears off, paint them again.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 15

The screws I can find at the hardware store, but the ferrules are a different story. I couldn't find those except for the local music shop who happened to have some on hand.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 AM

I've got hollow ones for my blue custom I built several years back. We just filled the underside with putty and its been all good.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Contributor

I went to the hardware store and brought screws with me trying to match them up.
I realized that the screws were different thicknesses because of the old American vs Metric problem.
I never found them at any of my local stores.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Look up your local specialty fasterner store. That's what I did. They specialize in nuts, bolts, screws, and the like and will have a far better range than any consumer hardware store.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Look up your local specialty fasterner store. That's what I did. They specialize in nuts, bolts, screws, and the like and will have a far better range than any consumer hardware store.
Seconded. They'll also have better quality, right up to the ultra-hardened steel machine screws that can replace the cheap stuff used in many inexpensive trems. These make a big difference.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Finding what you need when you don't have screws to compare them to is difficult. Rich has told me to go to the hardware store before too but I still bought a set from him because at least I had one correct set to search for.

Saying that, I paint screw heads all the time if they are screws that are not easily attainable.

I take a wire wheel to them first and clean off the years of crap in the crevices and then paint them, black normally. They look great. Use a flat black and it looks like the anodized black. When it wears off, paint them again.

this i dont have the screws to compare to

Tags
aanj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode