about changing tunings often - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

about changing tunings often

This is something I wanted to ask awhile ago but forgot about it till now.

My friend said before that constant tuning changes on a floating bridge isn't good for it and I could understand if it's true but he's doesn't exactly have the knowledge about maintenance that I do (that shows the lack of knowledge he has on the subject)

So if I was to change tunings on every string change, would that be detrimental to the guitar in any way? I change strings about every 4-5 months due to using different guitars all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 PM

Re: about changing tunings often

The only damage I could think of is that your spring retainer claw screws would wear out quicker....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Mike View Post
The only damage I could think of is that your spring retainer claw screws would wear out quicker....
I'd agree. My uncle is a woodworker, not saying that makes me an expert but knowing what I do know about wood, I'd imagine that would wear the bolt-holes a bit, especially on a soft wood like basswood.
I could be wrong, so anyone correct me please.
Your 1550 has the EZ right? I'd simply find just the right tension to where you could change the tuning without the bridge going up or down since I know you can set those up to deal with bends without dropping the pitch of the other strings. I don't know if you can really adjust it to handle alternate tunings like that, but I can't see why not.....only have limited experience with one EZII, so again; I could be wrong.
My 550 is 25 years old, and I'm sure that claw has been moved back and forth many times (I've done it quite a few since I got it) and it doesn't seem to have harmed it at all, so I could easily be wrong on that count, now that I think about it (and don't feel like going up and editing the first thing I said. )
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Meechy, the reason I was asking was for my Carvin thinking about putting it in E, then maybe after awhile, putting back to eb
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Meechy, the reason I was asking was for my Carvin thinking about putting it in E, then maybe after awhile, putting back to eb
no problem, even if you strip the threads in the wood, it is a piece of cake to fix them. Either you enhance and strengthen the threads with super glue, or fix with sawdust and strong wood glue, or plug and re-drill worst case.

The solution to your problem is to change string gauge as well. Go the Daddario site and find the charts where the exact tension of each string size/pitch is shown. Then compute your current tension based on the current strings and tuning. Given your next different tuning go and compute the string gauge at this new tuning that will give the same exact overall tension. Problem solved.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
no problem, even if you strip the threads in the wood, it is a piece of cake to fix them. Either you enhance and strengthen the threads with super glue, or fix with sawdust and strong wood glue, or plug and re-drill worst case.

The solution to your problem is to change string gauge as well. Go the Daddario site and find the charts where the exact tension of each string size/pitch is shown. Then compute your current tension based on the current strings and tuning. Given your next different tuning go and compute the string gauge at this new tuning that will give the same exact overall tension. Problem solved.
I use D'addarios so I know that if I raise tuning to E and I switch to 9s, the tension would be similar as it is now (10s in Eb on 25 inch scale neck). Sure it will be less tension that it is now, but it won't be a major issue.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Banned

^^^ you can compute it precisely, so that you'll end up with exactly the same angle on the trem plate.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
^^^ you can compute it precisely, so that you'll end up with exactly the same angle on the trem plate.
Oh cool, didn't know that. I'll have to check it out when I change strings.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

As far as the bridge goes there shouldn't be any problems if you're changing tunings from E to Eb. The worst you my do is strip the screw holes on the spring claw from adjustments. If that happens it's a quick fix. You can either fill and re-drill the holes or get some bolts & thread inserts.

The thing I would worry about more is the stress on the neck. Again going from E to Eb isn't going to be a problem. If you were jumping back and forth from say E to C or bouncing around with tunings every few months then you may run into some issues down the line. In that situation the tension between the tunings would be alot different and you'd have to readjust the neck each time you switched. The constant fluxuations in tension and adjustments to the truss rod would most likely weaken the neck causing it to twist, bow or break. And if it had a scarf joint that would most likely be weakened too and may start coming apart.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
As far as the bridge goes there shouldn't be any problems if you're changing tunings from E to Eb. The worst you my do is strip the screw holes on the spring claw from adjustments. If that happens it's a quick fix. You can either fill and re-drill the holes or get some bolts & thread inserts.

The thing I would worry about more is the stress on the neck. Again going from E to Eb isn't going to be a problem. If you were jumping back and forth from say E to C or bouncing around with tunings every few months then you may run into some issues down the line. In that situation the tension between the tunings would be alot different and you'd have to readjust the neck each time you switched. The constant fluxuations in tension and adjustments to the truss rod would most likely weaken the neck causing it to twist, bow or break. And if it had a scarf joint that would most likely be weakened too and may start coming apart.
Wow that's a lot of risk with something like that. I think it would be easier for me to learn to play E standard tuning songs in their correct tuning on my JB200 in Eb than it would be to risk damage (even if it's years away) to that guitar. Neck through construction I need to be careful because once the neck goes, it's done for
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
that's why we are talking about retaining the same exact total tension.
As far as inserts go, that's a nice idea, but if neck joints can do fine without them, so do the trem spring claws.

Last edited by panix; 01-23-2015 at 12:25 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 PM

It is fine,i go from E to C all the time. I rarely even have to alter trem(9-42 E / 11-56 C) as overall tension/balance is approximately the same.
People worry way too much.

Last edited by corey j grieve; 01-22-2015 at 05:57 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:07 PM

I suppose eventually the claw screws could get loose. But seriously I think it would send you to the loony bin first.

If I was changing tuning on a guitar a lot I would either get a fixed bridge or block the floating bridge.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 AM

Be sure that you know how to operate this tool:

http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode