About to embark on a major setup journey. Help needed. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Thumbs up About to embark on a major setup journey. Help needed.

Hi guys. I got a gig with my band coming up in the second week of November (the 12th IIRC), and I really need to get my guitars in tip top shape. I've got two guitars. The normal RG520, and I also have and HSS RX60.

I basically plan on doing a variation on Rich's "used guitar" setup tutorial. But here is precisely what I'm doing. I should be doing this to each guitar where valid.

Take off the trem, neck.
Give the neck a thorough cleaning a la Rich's UGP. This will include cleaning, and taking 0000 steel wool to the board, and masking the board and polishing the frets to a nice shine, and then finally oiling the board. Would it be recommended to also lightly go over the back of the neck with steel wool to get that darn eternal stickiness off?

Next I guess I'd be off to cleaning all the hardware, probably taking a toothbrush to them and stuff, nothing too intrinsic... whatever that word means lol.

So I imagine I'll be doing a lot of polishing to the body as well, you can recommend a good (cheaper) polish that can actually be found in small mom and pop stores.

So on to the setup: I plan on going as low as I can, while still able to do a 3-half-step bend, at any point on the fretboard. I'm not too concerned about trem pull-up. this is actually a pop-rock gig, with mild shredding. But it would be advisable to leave my shim (a business card, cut in half) in place? I'd think it would, because it may be an optimal neck angle, but let me know.

I'll be lubing my trem with chapstick on the knives and posts.

Actually I think that about covers it. If there is anything I am forgetting about, or will need to keep in mind, or am just plain wrong about, please let me know!!!

Last edited by fwd0120; 10-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Re: About to embark on a major setup journey. Help needed.

For polish, I like the Dunlop stuff that comes in a little spray bottle, it's not that expensive.

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether or not you should leave a shim in the neck. You'll know based on how the action turns out whether it's needed or not. My preference is to go with no shims if possible, but your mileage will probably vary.

Rich's tutorial is very good and very thorough, and learning to set up your own guitars is a great skill to have. Have fun.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! One thing I forgot to mention - My 520 came with 2 and a half shims (half on the bass side), under the nut. Would it be beneficial to leave them there, or should I attempt to experiment?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I'd experiment. In my experience, Ibanez tends to overdo it on shims under the locknut. I almost always take them out. You only really need them if you're getting open-string buzz.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM

intrinsic means something belonging naturally :P
the word you're looking for is elaborate :P
but on the actual subject, the dunlop spray polish does work very well on glossy finishes, but i've been very hesitant to try it on a matte.... which doesn't need to be polished anyway :P
with the fingerboard, just make sure you keep it oiled up very well, that'll make it play better.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelonfromhell View Post
intrinsic means something belonging naturally :P
the word you're looking for is elaborate :P
lol thanks, English isn't exactly my strong point hahaha

So guys, I'll be starting on this either today of tomorrow. Is there anything I need to rethink here?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

ok guys, I don't want to goo off and ruin my guitars right before a gig, lemme know if I'm going about this project the right way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 PM

thats exactly correct keep em together if they play good. screw em up afterwards
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Vendor

If you said what you mean and you used 1/2 a business card, I'd cut that down to a 3/8" strip. Otherwise, cleaning and polishing is just the first step, it's the setup that really matters. Just go for it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey Frank!!

It looks like you have things pretty well figured out. The only thing I didn't see you mention is neck relief. I hope your planning on dancing with that too, or your setup may not turn out as good as you want it to.

for cleaning and polishing the body I strictly use Meguiars cleaner and their "Gold Class" wax after cleaning. You can find this stuff in pretty much ANY auto part store in the country.

Ryc

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! lol, you are right, Rich I was just making a vague generalization . I'll see about tweaking the Truss rod, not really sure why I hadn't mentioned it other then... well, It had honestly slipped my mind, which is ironic because I have spent hours trying to get it "perfect" on my other guitars!
Thanks for the tip, ryc! I'll see if I can get my hands on those!

I'll tell you guys if anything catastrophic happens or if I just get caught on any certain stage. But I may get to work on it tonight or tomorrow morning!

Well, first - it is best to start with taking the neck off and doing all the stuff described in Rich's tutorial right? I believe that is recommended until I am told it isn't so I'll be working on that end first!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys. I am 99.9 percent done. It came out exceptionally well. Some how I ended up still needing the 2-1/2 nut shims, because with anything less, the relief (or lack thereof) would have been ridiculous, trust me, I really experimented lol.
So finally I ended up with a set up I am quite happy with; The action, treble side is slightly less then 1.5mm, I know this because I can put my 1.5 gravity pick or a ultex jazz-III in there and it holds under the high E. And just a little higher on the bass side, not sure how much, but it's low and balanced. Also, I can bend the string 3 half-tones anywhere on the board, and somehow have a perfect 4th of pull on the G string, don't ask me how, I just consider it luck .

but so then now my question is: how do I get the volume and tone knobs level?!? Thats really the biggest headache out of all of this (besides have to intonate without the tool).

Tags
setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode