Adding spring tension on trem... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Adding spring tension on trem...

Im about to replace the standard 3 springs on a lo pro edge. Im replacing them with 2 47mm springs in a V configuration so I can bend in tune better. My friend is telling me I will have to move the saddles forward because adding more spring tension will throw off the intonation. Is this true? Or can I just swap the 2 springs in there and then make the trem angle?

Thanks

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Vendor

You're not adding spring tension, you're adding springs that are harder to open. Use 3 if you really want to keep double stops more in tune.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:45 AM
dex

But as anyone will tell you the only way to keep your double stop bends in tune on a floating tremolo is to replace the middle spring with a tremsetter.

Anyway, to answer your question as long as you bring the trem back level the intonation will stay the same with any # of springs.

ilia
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
You're not adding spring tension, you're adding springs that are harder to open. Use 3 if you really want to keep double stops more in tune.

I want to keep the guitar in tune when I bend more then 1 1/2 steps to 2 full steps.

SO its just almost a plug and play mod? Slap them in and then adjust the angle perhaps?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 AM
dex

Pretty much, yes.
In fact, slap any # of springs in there in any configuration you want without touching anything else and then just use the spring claw holder to balance the bridge until the guitar is back in tune - you are done.

I still don't think that'll do much for the keeping in tune while bending but have a go and see if it works for you.

ilia
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Vendor

3 47's will keep it much closer to in tune while bending, but as Dex said only a Tremsetter will keep it IN tune.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 12:00 PM

Just to go a little deeper . . .

No matter what size/number of springs you put in there, when you add tension (bending the string(s)) the spring will open.

More, or stiffer, springs will open less, but they WILL open, thus dropping the pitch of the other strings.

It's a balancing act, and what happens when you add more weight (in this case, the weight is the tension on the string) to one side of a fulcrum?

To restate; a Trem-setter, or Back-Stop (if you can find one) is one way to keep in tune and keep full range on your trem . . . the other is to set the trem up for no pull-up and keep the springs over-tightened so that you can bend and stay in tune.

You can also block the trem totally, but you don't seem to want to go that road anyway, do I won't mention it. ;-)

Mic

Tags
floating tremolo , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode