Adjusting action on acoustic guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting action on acoustic guitar

I have an Epipehone EJ-200 which sounds lovely but the action is too high for me. Am I right in thinking that I will have to shave the saddle to lower the action? If so how will I go about this? Any helpful websites to take me through it step by step? Will it affect the intonation or the tone?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Re: Adjusting action on acoustic guitar

You can take out the saddle and just rub the bottom of it on a peice of sandpaper until it't the right height. Go slow, the strings need a certain amount of break angle over the saddle to sound good. Chances are you can bring it down a fair bit though. And try to make the bottom flat, you don't want the saddle to sit angled back or forward in the bridge. Also look at the neck angle and see if a truss rod adjustment would help.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: Adjusting action on acoustic guitar

start with adjusting the neck.

when i adjust mine, i make about an 1/8th of a turn, and play it for a while. then let it set over nite. if it stil feels high the next day, give it another 1/8th.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Re: Adjusting action on acoustic guitar

Make sure the neck is straight first. Then yank out your saddle and run it across either a file or some course sandpaper. But if you're going to do all that work, why not change the saddle to something of better material (Bone or TUSQ). If you're going to work with your existing saddle, what I normally do before I start shaving the bottom of the saddle off is that I mark the sides of the saddle so I can see how far I've gone.

Needless to say, adjusting action on an acoustic is a pain compared to electrics.

Tags
neck angle , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode