advice needed for a edge pro bridge - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

advice needed for a edge pro bridge

i wanted to restring my guitar . i bought a new jem recently
it came with new strings from the shop i bought it.
i am familiar with floyd rose . but somethings on the jem are new to me
and the manual doesn't really cover my question.

if i look at bottom side of the edge pro bridge each string has an red saddle/cover with a screw . it seems the string bullets are seated there.
as i check the manual it talks about cutting the bullets at the end off.

so my question is . whats the difference with these saddles or restringing the guitar with cutting off the bullets.
and will i notice any difference between the two manners of restringing.

my local store says to cut them off . but in my opinion does saddles are there for a reason so why cut them off.

and what is the best way to mount the string with those red saddles as it seems the space to manouver is very small.

thanks in advance
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Re: advice needed for a edge pro bridge

Its down to personal preference as to what you do. I have the same on my js, i leave the ball ends on the strings and push them in to the red covers so that the ball rests in the curve at the bottom, they dont have to be orientated in any way.

I believe this was added because people whinged that they had to cut the ball ends off, i have guitars with both types of trem and neither present a problem to me. the only advantage i can see is when a string breaks during a gig and you no longer need to cut the ball end off (the other soloution to this is to feed the string through with the ball end at the tuner).

It can be a pain getting the strings out though, sometimes i find it easier to take the strings out through the rear trem cavity as the ball end can get stuck in the saddle unless you loosen it all the way(dont like doing this cus im afraid that something might ping off into the same place that all dropped picks go)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Re: advice needed for a edge pro bridge

I found that leaving the end balls on an Edge pro can sometimes result in a bit of a pain to get them out when you change strings, so i cut them off, but other than that it makes no difference really, the trem is designed to work both ways so don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode