Advice required on strange intermittent tuning stability issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Advice required on strange intermittent tuning stability issues

Hoping some of you experts might have an idea here..

I have a 2003 7VWH with an Edge Pro and the locking stud mod. It lives on a wall hanger and gets played only occasionally as although I love the smooth neck and fretboard I find tend to pick up my RG570EX more often because I'm just less worried about it and it has a sustainer installed.

Anyway when I first play it I seem to have tuning stability issues with anything more than light vibrato. These can be from both a dive and pull up - especially a large pull up and range from most strings being slightly out (where by dives and small pull ups along with fine tuning get me back to neutral) to one string out by one or even two semi tones.

At first I thought it was one of the pads at the nut - I tried tightening and swapping these around to see it the string most effected followed it, then I thought one of the saddles was catching on the pickguard, or one was loose (seemed most likely with the large pitch drop). I've checked the stud locks which appear tight and tried to get a bit of chapstick on the posts near the knife edges.

The weird thing messing around like this for a while eventually it will appear fixed and I can generally dive to slack and pull up until I expect a string might break only for me to then leave it hanging on the wall from a few weeks and come back to find the same issue.

Is there something (springs maybe?) that can be effected by lack of use? I sometime think I hear I slight creek or crack when doing an extreme pull up but can never be sure where the noise is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Vendor

Re: Advice required on strange intermittent tuning stability issues

Strings will always take a stretch after they've been sitting awhile. Next time you take it off the hook stretch the strings first and see if you have any issues.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Interesting Rich - thanks. I'd always assumed stretching the strings was only necessary when fitting a new set. I didn't realise lack of use could cause this effect so I've learnt something there.

I know the edge pro with it having the stud mod should in theory be just as stable as my other guitars with the low pro edge, original edge and recently EZ2 but strangely that's not been the case and I think part of the reason I pickup up the RG so much - I just know I can abuse the trem on that without worry.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick thanks again Rich as stability does seem much better.

I notice however that psychologically I'm avoiding doing really extreme pull ups because of the cracking noise and not wanting to spend time retuning.

I did find one screw on the jack cavity cover was loose and tightened that although you can still rock it slightly.

The guitar has 3 springs and I'm using 9's as on my others but did spot that the outer springs are angled on this and my universe which were last setup by a different guitar tech. - by comparison my others have them all parallel. The only mention I could see of this on your tech pages was for lighter strings, any chance this could be part of the issue?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Vendor

What's the cracking noise?

Springs in arrow just increase tension a little, for the most part.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

When pulling up on the Jem after about 3 or 4 semi tones I hear a quietish crack/click from the bridge area so tend to just stop then despite being able to feel there is more range (by way of contrast on my UV777P also with an Edge Pro you can feel the bottom of the treble side of the bridge hit the bottom of the route preventing more upward range).

The sound is more metallic to me so I was assuming a spring maybe? I can't see anything catching or loose, maybe a string pass its best?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Vendor

If it's every time it's probably a stud. If it's every now and then it's probably pocket creak. If it was a spring you would hear a little twang with it [spring reverb]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I think it's consistent but I'll experiment a little to be sure.

The locking stud mod was done for me by the same tech sometime ago but I haven't played it as much as I should have.

Tags
jem , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode