Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality strings? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality strings?

I like Dee Addys but man DR Strings are crap. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Thumbs down Re: Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality strings?

CRAP ALL THE WAY!!

they last me 2 days, got black (tarnish) after 2 hours
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Re: Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality strings?

I like me some DR strings. I never used the colored ones though, I have no interest in them.

Last edited by elcid; 07-12-2007 at 06:21 PM.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Re: Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality strings?

I had a set that had spots of corrosion on them straight out the packet, but they replaced them and I think they are pretty good - very bright sounding. But I think I'll stick to Elixirs
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Re: Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality string

GHS Boomers
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Dean Markley Blue Steel's

They're the best strings I've ever had the privilege of placing my unworthy fingers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I like me some DR strings. I never used the colored ones though, I have no interest in them.
What are you, some kind of racist?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM

I'll PM the joke
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
What are you, some kind of racist?
Ok......time I said something, Sally! Judging from 3/4 or your posts, you're just a tad bit of a smart ass aren't ya, Mr 16 goin on 40???

At first I thought it just may be a really bad sense of humor, but......

Careful, else you'll get stomped on!! These guys/gals arent all as forgiving as I! Fair warning

You seem to be quite intelligent for your age, so use that intellect!!

Or at least get some new punch lines
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Re: Am I the only one that thinks DR Strings uses colors to cover poor quality string

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
I like Dee Addys but man DR Strings are crap. What do you think?
Well, what exactly do you hate about DR strings?

I personally love them, but haven't tried out colored guitar strings as of yet. I have a set of colored bass strings, and they're amazing.

I personally use DR Hi-Beams, I suggest you try a set out; they're similar to the Ernie Ball feel for electrics.

Anyway, please, send me a PM, or tell me right here, what do you not like about DR strings?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 PM

I havent used the Hi-beams, I like the Tite-fits, if I thought they felt anything like Ernie Balls, I would get rid of them in a second.
But thats me
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Ok......time I said something, Sally! Judging from 3/4 or your posts, you're just a tad bit of a smart ass aren't ya, Mr 16 goin on 40???

At first I thought it just may be a really bad sense of humor, but......

Careful, else you'll get stomped on!! These guys/gals arent all as forgiving as I! Fair warning

You seem to be quite intelligent for your age, so use that intellect!!

Or at least get some new punch lines
I won't lie to you, I am a bit of a smart ass. But now that I think about, I have been a little bit of a dick, so I'll work on that.

But, thanks for cutting me some slack.

And thanks, I'll try to clean up my sense of humor.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
I won't lie to you, I am a bit of a smart ass. But now that I think about, I have been a little bit of a dick, so I'll work on that.

But, thanks for cutting me some slack.

And thanks, I'll try to clean up my sense of humor.
Naww....we love a sense of humor round these parts Just don't be a dick (as you so eloquently stated) I like ya Sally, so don't get me wrong......I'm just trying to help ya out (THINK before you post)

And don't forget the rules

BTW - Don't mind if I call ya Sally do ya??
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Naww....we love a sense of humor round these parts Just don't be a dick (as you so eloquently stated) I like ya Sally, so don't get me wrong......I'm just trying to help ya out (THINK before you post)

And don't forget the rules
Okay, I'll work at being good. I just didn't figure it would be that big of a deal, seeing as how there were some pretty lewd jokes in the "Tasteless Joke Thread" or whatever it was called, and I don't think anybody got in trouble, so I just assumed it was fair game.

But, you know what happens when you assume, right?

I think I'll read the rules a little more carefully, now.

Naw, I don't mind if you call me Sally. Nicknames kick ass.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
Well, what exactly do you hate about DR strings?

I personally love them, but haven't tried out colored guitar strings as of yet. I have a set of colored bass strings, and they're amazing.

I personally use DR Hi-Beams, I suggest you try a set out; they're similar to the Ernie Ball feel for electrics.

Anyway, please, send me a PM, or tell me right here, what do you not like about DR strings?
Dont you work for DR?

String reps should send out free samples... its the only way theyll ever get players like me (heavy users who are quite happy with our set ups) to try them out... Im not paying £6-10 for something thats going to take me 30 mins to put on a guitar and set up properly (I dont have any fixed bridge guitars anymore) and then 30 mins to put back if theyre not up to scratch... I wrote to a few companies a few years back when I was using about 20-40 sets a year but got no replies...

So CoBL if you wanna send me a pack of Hi-beams Ill check em out and give you my honest opinion... If they are noticably better/nicer or longer lasting than my usual (Daddario 9's) then Im happy to switch...

Steve
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
Dont you work for DR?

String reps should send out free samples... its the only way theyll ever get players like me (heavy users who are quite happy with our set ups) to try them out... Im not paying £6-10 for something thats going to take me 30 mins to put on a guitar and set up properly (I dont have any fixed bridge guitars anymore) and then 30 mins to put back if theyre not up to scratch... I wrote to a few companies a few years back when I was using about 20-40 sets a year but got no replies...

So CoBL if you wanna send me a pack of Hi-beams Ill check em out and give you my honest opinion... If they are noticably better/nicer or longer lasting than my usual (Daddario 9's) then Im happy to switch...

Steve
Yes, I do work for DR.

Before I start my mini-rant here, let me say I understand where you are coming from. I mean you no offense, these are just simply company policies.

First, There is NO WAY whatsoever I could ever get away with giving away free strings, especially with DR. I would lose my job faster than you can say "free strings." They are slightly more expensive for a few reasons; they are hand-wound (trust me, I walk by the string winders every day on my way to my desk) as opposed to the much faster output of machine-wound, and this gives them slightly better quality. This brings me to my second point. DR's output is not as big as other companies, so we need to sell the strings for a little more than others in order to stay in competition with them.

If you like D'Addario, by all means stick with them. I'm just suggesting you try out the Hi-Beams because I switched over from Ernie Balls to Hi-Beams and was quite surprised (as well as pleased) with the result. Either way, the point is to stick with whichever string you feel is more comfortable and plays the best. Tone and feel are the two most important factors in choosing a string.

What I'm asking, though, is that people are complaining, so I want to know what we can do to make a better string.

As for the string, I GUARANTEE that DRs will last longer, that's what they're known for... DRs tend to last about five months or so, and still retain their quality. I personally think they lose their immediate brightness within a few hours, but after that they kept the slightly broken in feel for the rest of their life. The tone and feel both last quite some time. I know the general consensus in the bass guitar world is that a large portion (if not the majority) of bassists like DR for tone and longevity as compared to other strings.

Tags
dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , ernie ball , ernie balls , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , guitar shop , markley blue steel , steel wool , steve vai , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode