Amp tube replacement time? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Amp tube replacement time?

I think this is right section to ask, but just noticed (after being boxed for about a year) when I turn on my amp I here what sounds like the tubes making a ding sound. Sorta like they are warming up. It goes on when I turn off them off too. I decided to look at them and noticed one of the 6L6's has slight blue and the other does not. Using a 6505+ combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Amp tube replacement time?

Do you hear it through the speaker or only the tubes themselves?
They couldíve used cheap tubes, as I have never noticed thermal pinging as my amps warmed up from the output.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

It comes from the upper cabinet. I made sure I had the back off when I turned it on. Also, not sure if this is normal but when I turn the pre/post volumes I get this static type sound out of the speaker.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Reviews: 1

Your pots are dirty.
Itís not a tough fix, but if youíre not familiar with tube amps, I would not attempt it.
Sounds like she just needs a checkup and cleaning. If the tubes are otherwise fine and not noisy when you play them, itís just thermal expansion of the glass and metal inside. Donít fret over it.
If the tubes are microphonic and you hear every little bump to the amp through the speaker or a ringing when you play, they need to be replaced.

Tags
6505+combo , tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode