Amp volume low, gets loud, crackles - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Amp volume low, gets loud, crackles

I have a Bugera 333XL 2x12 combo, and I know what you're all thinking, it's an unreliable amp and I knew that before I bought it, but I took a chance anyways. It's been fine for over a year, but recently it's started to have this problem.

So for the most part the volume it puts out seems normal to me, but then every once in a while it will get really loud, maybe twice as loud, and it will make a bad crackling and cutting-out sound.

I've tested with multiple guitars, multiple cables, and without pedals, so I know it is isolated to the amp. I swapped the power tubes with a new set and I'm still experiencing this problem. My next test is to swap the preamp tubes when I order some more, but I wanted to get some input on what the problem might be.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Re: Amp volume low, gets loud, crackles

Sounds like a bad volume pot. Hard to diagnose from a distance, but that would be my 1st guess.
Try wiggling each knob, one at a time to see if you can reproduce the noise.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Amp volume low, gets loud, crackles

It could be a preamp tube I had similar issues on my Peavey, the main issues with Bugera were the first runs having bad connections in one point that would melt, the issue your having can occur on more "reliable" amps.

I'm actually contemplating getting a 333xl 212 myself, try tapping the preamp tubes with a pencil...

you may just have a bad preamp tube in one section, is this only on a specific channel or all of them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode