Annoying open-string high-E buzz - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Annoying open-string high-E buzz

Now I'm cross.

I spend an hour and a half on Sunday changing strings on my RG2550Z, getting it nicely in tune, giving the fingerboard a light drink of lemon oil and the sorry saga begins.

Checking the tuning yesterday after the strings had settled in a bit more lo and behold there is a slight, but audible and incredibly distracting/annoying buzz on the high E string.

So... I try changing the string a couple of times for fresh ones, check the top lock for grooves (nothing there), try raising the bridge a bit, more stretching, try adjusting the Zero point system and still there is that annoying buzz.

Nope, it's not audible through an amp (or rather my Pocket POD - I have two children under 4...) but it's intrusive whenever an open top E comes up. It doesn't seem to harm sustain, or affect anything but this one note.

The neck looks straight, I'm not trying to get an obscenely low action, the first fret looks well seated, no notches - I just can't see how I can cure this.

Any ideas before I sink cash into a pro setup? I'm sort of resigned to the idea that after two years it's part of the ongoing maintenance cost I'm going to have to bear, but I'd still rather save my cash for something worthwhile like beer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Re: Annoying open-string high-E buzz

Does it happen only open or fretted too?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Only open - even the 1st fret F sounds fine.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:38 PM

It must be the nut then-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
It must be the nut then-
Hmmm, not sure. I guess there's no harm in having another look. I have tried swapping locking clamps to check if that's the issue, and it doesn't seem to be. And the B string is clear as the proverbial bell.

Maybe it's a bit of swarf or similar in the nut slot itself, but I don't know, that seems unlikely to me as I a) can't think of any opportunity I've given for one to get in, and b) the buzz still happens even with the clamp down.

But I'll check again, as that does seem to be the general area where the buzz seems to be coming from - I always find these sort of little rattles and squeaks hard to locate by ear. But maybe that's just me, ha!ha!

Addendum - will probably check tomorrow night now, given the lateness of the hour here! I will post an update idc. Thanks for the pointer back to the nut!

Last edited by Stuz719; 01-25-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Looked at the time and realised domestic bliss could be threatened by extended guitar tinkering session!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Solved it... thanks to some unbeleivably focussed listening I pinpointed the buzzing to somewhere on the headstock. And it wasn't the nut that was the source of the unwelcome sound!

Turns out it was the G machinehead was very, very slightly loose (confirmed by gently holding each tuner in turn whilst playing the offending string) and ringing in sympathy with the E note.

A bit of tightening, a double-check of the tuning and I was able to have a little drop in the height of the bridge.

Saved a little money which can now be split towards a good night out and a full setup at some inderterminate date in the future!

Now my only gripe is that the pink colour of the case lining has bled onto the white fingerboard binding a little, I guess as a result of the lemon oil. Ah well, I guess it all adds character!

Many thanks to Sebastian for his replies, much appreciated!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Good to know it was an easy fix.
Sebastian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode