Another lo-trs ii thread - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Another lo-trs ii thread

Hey all

I've had some problems recently where my term does not return back in tune. It's always a semitone out. Annoying!!

So I got looking on forums mainly here and i read so many people with the same problem due to crappy metal on the lo-trs ii trem.
Sure enough after examining I notice the term has bad wear and chips on the knife edge. Great!

So I am looking at a replacement. I think I am happy to replace for a new lo-trs ii as I don't like the sound of re drilling and routing.
This is right yeah? I've seen mixed opinions!

Trouble is I can't ind anywhere that sell them new. Any ideas for me? I live in the uk. The guitar is a js100.

Kind regards
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM

Re: Another lo-trs ii thread

Hi mate,
I've changed my ILT1(dimensionaly almost identical as TRS2) although I havent any problem with tuning stability, with Schaller FR. It has a hardern steal knifes like EDGE, not base plate like trs and similar. The only job I had to do is filing with small file or sand with sand paper a couple of mm trem cavity where the wings (sides) of the FR base plate come. It was easy job, cause basswood is soft. No routing or using any power tools. Almost ”drop in replacement" with minimal job.
And one more thing, JS series has a smaller fretboard radius not flat as RG's. That Schallers FR also has a smaller string radius so that should be it.
Regards
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Reviews: 2

Hi mrk.............welcome to Jemsite.

You won't find new units of the Lo-TRSII as they were put out of production around 2002 when they were replaced by the Edge ProII.

An Edge-Pro is a direct drop in if you want to keep your guitar all Ibanez. Otherwise the Gotoh GE1996T is a great trem that is also a drop-in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV05UunaCDQ

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 06-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 120

The Edge Pro may not allow full movement of the bridge though. The sustain block on the Edge Pro sits a bit further forward, from memory (may be further back, can't quite remember).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thnaks for the great info guys. Just got myself the Gotoh GE1996T

Hopefully it wont fowl the back of the trem cavity :S I am having some custom graphics made up so the guitar is in the paint shop at the mo. I prob should have cut it back slightly before it was painted.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Cool, looking forward to seeing it!!

If you do run into a problem with pull-up, the fix is in an area that will never be seen when the guitar is assembled. You shouldn't have any problems with the 1996 though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM

Reviews: 120

Pull up will be fine with the Gotoh. The block will stick outside the cavity, so you won't be able to put the cover back on. That's not a real issue though, enjoy the tonal benefits.

Tags
lo trs , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode