Another vlx91 question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Wink Another vlx91 question

Hello all. New here so please bear with me as my question may seem really basic to some or most of you.
I'm building a tele style guitar(Alvarez ASG4)with 3 single coils and I want to use a wiring harness that I got YEARS ago from an HM Strat.
It has one volume, one TBX tone and the VLX91/OTAX 5way switch.

The guitar the harness came from was HSS config but, now there's nothing still wired to the switch and all those terminals have me completely stumped.

Can anyone post or know where I can find an EASILY understood wiring diagram for this switch using just 3 single coils?

I've found a couple using HB's but, all those extra wires really confuse me.

I don't want any really exotic wiring, just the basic Strat switching positions with the possible(probable) addition of a mini toggle for adding the neck pup when the 5 way switch is in positions 1 or 2.

I know this forum is primarily for Ibanez guitars, but I figured since this harness has the same VLX91/OTAX switch that many of you use, any info you could provide would be helpful since the switch is my only dilema.

Yes, I could and probably should just go get a standard switch but, this is what I have and I think it should be used...the last five way in my parts bin...wonder why?

The pups I'm using are all basic 2 wire alnico single coils(for now).
Of course I want the TBX to work on all the pups, not in typical Strat fashion.
If I may redeem myself just a bit for not having an Ibanez(yet), I'm a big Vai and Satriani fan lol

Thanks in advance and best to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Re: Another vlx91 question

The Otax VLX91 switch is basically four 5 way switches with each switch having 6 contacts, 1 for each position and 1 common for output.

To wire up 3 pickups in standard wire the hot lead from the neck pickup to contacts 1 & 2 on one wafer, hot from the bridge to contacts 4 and 5 on the same wafer. Wire the middle pickup to contacts 2-4 on a 2nd wafer, join the two common contacts and then wire up the volume pot to that. For the TBX, you can just tap the input lug on your volume pot like you would for a master tone pot.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Another vlx91 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
The Otax VLX91 switch is basically four 5 way switches with each switch having 6 contacts, 1 for each position and 1 common for output.

To wire up 3 pickups in standard wire the hot lead from the neck pickup to contacts 1 & 2 on one wafer, hot from the bridge to contacts 4 and 5 on the same wafer. Wire the middle pickup to contacts 2-4 on a 2nd wafer, join the two common contacts and then wire up the volume pot to that. For the TBX, you can just tap the input lug on your volume pot like you would for a master tone pot.
Er...Yeah...
What I should have also stated in the OP was that visuals help me a bunch more than words...although I think I understand if I look at the switch as four five ways as you explained.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm gonna try it and report back.
Best to you and yours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode