Any amp builders out there - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Any amp builders out there

Just wondering if anyone here has turned their soldering iron to anything other that a set of pickups

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 12:34 PM

I once built my own stereo pre-amp. That was in the days when I knew Ohm's law and laplace transformations. Nowadays I'd probably manage to solder everything including my zipper into a big ball :loco:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

cool man,

I was just inspired by the ax84 website and am trying to design a decent little bedroom amp with reverb and trem, ye olde Ohms law is a bit fuzzy aswell :rotf: but found some good resources as well as some full mesa schems and parts lists. I think Ill make me a mark iv while Im at it lol

any other tone homebrewers here

Steve
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 11:15 PM

I have built a few .a tweed bassman...this was sold to a freind before I even finished it...it did sound sweet for blues type stuff..not much my thing... a champ and the ax-84 p-1..some effects boxes as well..fuzzface.tircked out .. ..univibe...thats one of my faves.tyco clone..I have a tricked out ts808 clone..and a few others...still unfinnished at this time.. mostly classic stuff I could not afford...
Iam getting the itch to build again...yet I have so little time...
I like shaping tones to my taste its allot of fun...
chips
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 09:08 PM

I've built an Ibanez Sonic Distortion, a light organ (meter made from xmas lights goes up and down with sound), a sound-sensitive strobe light (which is now broken), a really crappy headphone amp, and I've modified lots of electronics, including computer components.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 10:50 PM

I built the integrated amp in my home audio system. It was a kit, not built from scratch. Thats the biggest project I've tackled with a soldering iron. LOL

Alden

PS.. It actually works, too :laugh:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Quote: from SalemB on 10:34 am on Sep. 30, 2001
I once built my own stereo pre-amp. That was in the days when I knew Ohm's law and laplace transformations. Nowadays I'd probably manage to solder everything including my zipper into a big ball :loco:
You just sent me straight back to Differential Equations and Electrical Engineering class...I nearly vomited, and I can't feel my hands.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 06:25 PM

:rotf:
Seriously though, do hope you've recovered Gresh.

No amp building but I'm psychotically interested in working with e.g. amp modeling. Closest I can get right now is programming plugins.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 10:22 PM

Yo Chips, fellow Texan, :biggrin: wanna’ fool around with my Legacy? I would like to experiment with some modifications to achieve more gain into the pre-amp and change some of the center frequencies on the eq.

Is that possible? Who does stuff like that?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 10:03 AM

Reviews: 1

boB, Modding the preamp section on your legacy is pretty simple, you can modify the tone section by altering the values of the caps in the range you are tweaking. IMO amps should come standard with a parametric eq.
I have never built an amp from the ground up, but I have rebuilt amps from the chassis up, complete redesign of output sections to handle 6l6's which are more readily available. Tube amps can be fun to tinker with as long as you don't put your fingers near the 400V Caps. Not fun..hehe ( never been zapped, but a buddy was) *At any rate, I'm rambling, but if you're serious about getting into the sport, there are MANY resources out there with schemats and the theory behind what you're attempting. Have fun!
Bamm
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks people,

I did find a little program on Duncanamps.com that models the tone circuits so you can see graphically how changing the caps will change the tone. which is interesting.

I still need to do alot of research before I get started
Cheers Bamm, Chips,

Steve

Tags
bedroom amp , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to build a guitar builders work bench

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode