any fails on monkey grips - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

any fails on monkey grips

hey, going to drill a monkey grip into my ibanez rg with a drill press. any1 have this not work out well in the end? just seems like not much wood to hold on to. dont want to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Re: any fails on monkey grips

I would suspect that you would want a piece of wood underneath to drill through to get it clean.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 13

Why? There are plenty of jem bodies on the net. Is all that effort worth it? And if it sounds crap and looks crap you are stuck with it.

All that said, it is your guitar.........

-Wolfram
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Somebody here did it quite perfectly to an RG.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Do a test run on some scrap wood. I think you may find it harder than it looks. A router is a much better option, unless you are a novice with a router and you have no template. Maybe look for a template on *bay and go from there? just my 2cents, all the best with it either way.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Reviews: 37

use a template, router, and drill the holes out close before routing.
i did a few and were perfect.
ai guitar has the templates.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM

I did my RG350. I just copied dimensions from my jem, I think it turned out O.K.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM

Many people dont know the reason its called the 'monkey' grip is because the dimensions are modeled directly after the profile of the proximal bones on a Pan Troglodytes (chimp) and how the primate grips in nature.

During the primary design stages of the Jem guitar the primate research team at SNPRC (Texas facility) was providing bio mechanical study info regarding the way the chimps hands, with their elongated metacarpal bones could most efficiently/comfortably grip, directly to Ibanez and their guitar design team.

There has been much discussion/deliberation in the engineering world over the years on why Ibanez took so much time, money and effort in providing a suitable grip for 'chimps' (<not really monkeys and all). Some speculate that it had to deal with making a 'one size fits all' grip others say that it was Ibanezs' original concept for marketing and still others say that it actually had something to do with the Hashiya study and his involvement with the Ibanez R&D group in the 80's-90's.

Here is some interesting info on the fact:

http://www.livescience.com/5916-chim...good-tune.html

We may never know why Ibanez took this approach. What CAN be certain is that Lions claw is a completely other story!!!!

~JH
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM

It is because Steve has monkey hands.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
Many people dont know the reason its called the 'monkey' grip is because the dimensions are modeled directly after the profile of the proximal bones on a Pan troglodytes (chimp) and how the primate grips in nature.

During the primary design stages of the Jem guitar the primate research team at SNPRC (Texas facility) was providing bio mechanical study info regarding the way the chimps hands, with their elongated metacarpal bones could most efficiently/comfortably grip, directly to Ibanez and their guitar design team.

There has been much discussion/deliberation in the engineering world over the years on why Ibanez took so much time, money and effort in providing a suitable grip for 'chimps' (<not really monkeys and all). Some speculate that it had to deal with making a 'one size fits all' grip others say that it was Ibanezs' original concept for marketing and still others say that it actually had something to do with the Hashiya study and his involvement with the Ibanez R&D group in the 80's-90's.

Here is some interesting info on the fact:

http://www.livescience.com/5916-chim...good-tune.html

We may never know why Ibanez took this approach. What CAN be certain is that Lions claw is a completely other story!!!!

~JH
Just a quick remind folks that in the Linnaean system, the latin names should be italicized and only the genus should be capitalized so i fixed that for you Other than that, that's a great summary
jono is online  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: any fails on monkey grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Just a quick remind folks that in the Linnaean system, the latin names should be italicized and only the genus should be capitalized so i fixed that for you Other than that, that's a great summary
Hahahahahah MY BRAIN HURTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helltone View Post
I did my RG350. I just copied dimensions from my jem, I think it turned out O.K.

YEP AND YOU GOT AN ORIGINAL EDGE IN THERE.
those would have been some great tutorials with pictures.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM

I converted this 570 using the tutorial from projectguitar.com for both the lion's claw and the monkey grip. I used hole saws for the grip and free handed the lion's claw with a cordless drill and various bits... I think it came out pretty good.

Originally this was a spare body that I didn't mind messing up so there was no pressure

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 2

In the past I have routed monkey grips into a couple of few RG guitars. I can post a couple of pictures.
I made a cardboard template and drew the pattern on the guitar, then did the rest by eye.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM

looks like no one has ever failed!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
looks like no one has ever failed!!

Peace

Mike

Tags
drilling monkey grips mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode