Any reputable swirlers out there or custom guitar builders? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Any reputable swirlers out there or custom guitar builders?

I really want to enter the JEM world and get myself a jem gmc with a nice swirl.

I went to OOTS who said he is no longer doing it, and he recommended rocking all over this swirled who also isn't doing it at the moment.

So far I seem to be out of luck. I'm after a Jem body, (monkey,tigerclaw) gmc swirl, green tree of life, and headstock all clear coated. I have a friend in music industry who might be able to get some dmarzio pickups at trade. So I'm thinking Evo pickups and lo pro trem maybe? Not sure. And clear pick guard required.

And I'm trying to do all this for less than or up to a grand, although I'm starting to think I'm better off waiting till I have more in the way of funds.

Might just send my js100 off to be stripped and painted if I can't afford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Re: Any reputable swirlers out there or custom guitar builders?

check out perleguitars.com

They do all sorts of jem bodies and general ibanez shapes and jem profile necks. I think they can clear coat the headstocks with optional Ibanez decals. They do the swirl paint jobs aswell. I just bought a destroyer/iceman Body in mahogany. Well happy so i would recommend. Im building an axe myself at the moment using bits off a jem555 edge pro 2 and the neck. I will replace the neck for a different when i get some cash lol!! good luck man.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

This is Nate isn't it? I emailed him, my ont isse there is I'm from the uk an Sony want to get hit with 300 pounds extra in VAT and Duty.

I was hoping to find a good value UK swirler but there doesn't seem to be any at present.

Also someone mentioned a few issues with Nate's work a few years back, something about having to strip back down and reswirl and bridges catching on body. Has the quality in jem's changed from Nate?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM

I got the destroyer/iceman body myself so i couldnt really comment personally on the jem bodies.

But im really happy with body i got. I painted and cleared myself so not about the quality of paint job tbh.

There is slightly different routing for different trem models. Some will be fine and some may catch a little bit.

I had it routed for edge iii but im gonna use the edge pro 2. It does catch a little after clear coating but nothing a bit of sanding wont take care of.

As long as its routed for the correct trem its nothing a tiny bit of sanding wont take care of.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM

fire an email to Max at Cottam Guitars - he works with either Nate or Herc, and can arrange it all for u!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickWar View Post
This is Nate isn't it? I emailed him, my ont isse there is I'm from the uk an Sony want to get hit with 300 pounds extra in VAT and Duty.

I was hoping to find a good value UK swirler but there doesn't seem to be any at present.

Also someone mentioned a few issues with Nate's work a few years back, something about having to strip back down and reswirl and bridges catching on body. Has the quality in jem's changed from Nate?
Here's Nates "questionable" work....

Myself, I'm extremely happy with his work. His clear is not too thick, he even asked me if I wanted the cavities painted with shielding paint. My neck from ET fit perfectly, all the controls and the trem fit perfect into his body....
There's no question about his work as far as I'm concerned....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Nice Lava JEM!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 2

Have you looked at the finished GMC's that Al currently has available??

http://www.outofthisswirled.com/forsale.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Nice Lava JEM!
Thank you!!

Tags
custom , ibanez , jem , swirl , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode