Any way to loosen up a tight volume pot? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Any way to loosen up a tight volume pot?

Hi,
I have a RG3120. The stock volume and tone pots, which are much smoother than the stock pots in my RG570, RG520, are very tight. Not good for quick volume adjustments. Does anyone know if there is a way to loosen it up a bit. I already checked to make sure the Knob wasn't rubbing somewhere, and it isn't. They're just very tight compared to most others. I'm trying to avoid replacing it because it's a nice smooth audio taper, and some others don't have that nice taper to them.
Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:46 PM

You tried a bit of contact cleaner in the pot? Some cleaners contain an inert lubricant, which may well do the trick for you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi Algiman,
I haven't tried that. Can you recommend a particular type? I have some electronic cleaner called Blue Shower, universal cleaner/degreaser. Do you think that will work?
Thanks.

John
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 05:15 PM

I don't think I've ever bought the same brand twice! I had to use about 2 cans once to un-cease a Les Paul's controls - but you'll not need as much. You could try the stuff you have but I'd recommend one with lubricant.

Your local electronics store will amost certainly have something suitable - go explain what you need and see what they come up with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Radio shack brand comes with the lubricant but its the only kind that Ive gotten a chance to try out. It made the volume pot on my 520 so smooth, that you can literally spin the knob without physically turning it. its my main guitar for doing volume swell tricks now. I wouldnt expect this type of reaction though but it will smooth the pots up. It will also clean out any unwanted scratchiness as long as the pot isnt on its last leg.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I'll stop by a Radio Shack tomorrow. That should help the situation. If it's still too tight I'll just end up putting in a different pot, but I don't think I'll have to. Thanks guys.

john
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:47 PM

I forgot to mention of you have your volume knob too low on your pots they will rub a little bit on the nut, and cause some friction slowing it down a little. Volume swells are a huge part of my playing and I know how frustrating crappy pots can be. I know several guitarist who use no knobs on their pots because they like a stiff feel there. Its all apples and oranges I just like being able to use my pinky to control the volume and still pick
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I got it loosened up a bit by spraying some of that stuff in there and just working it back and forth for a while. still not as loose as the others, but it's usable for volume swells now. THANKS GUYS.

john
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 11:01 PM

does anyone know how to make them stiffer? my Strat's knobs adjust too easily and often find myself at half volume wondering how it got there and why my tone was muffled.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

what i did with my tone knob was took the knob off, then put a littlt piece of foam around the pot, then put the knob back on. i want my tone all the way up all the time so that worked for me on one guitar.
or crazy glue

john
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Radio shack brand comes with the lubricant but its the only kind that Ive gotten a chance to try out. It made the volume pot on my 520 so smooth, that you can literally spin the knob without physically turning it. its my main guitar for doing volume swell tricks now. I wouldnt expect this type of reaction though but it will smooth the pots up. It will also clean out any unwanted scratchiness as long as the pot isnt on its last leg.
the pot i put in my RGT42 that came out of my 90 RG570 is like this... its always been like that lol... i like it, but sometimes it might be a little too fast lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

I guess it's hard to fing good pot these days. somebody had to make a "pot" joke sooner or later.

the pots that ibanez uses in the RGs up to the 570(the newer ones anyway) just go from zero to 10 too fast. tough to do a volume swell with. i usually replace mine with normal size pots that i get from stewart macdonald. but the one on my RG3120 is different from the other RGs. It's got a nice taper, but until I loosened it up, it was too tight for me. I like to turn the volume down whenever I don't play for more than a few seconds.

My friend once had these Allen Bradley pots that were awesome! They had a great feel, and the smoothest taper I've ever heard. But I don't see anyone selling them. Allen Bradley may be out of business or something.

john

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode