Anyone no how to remove inlays without making it look crap! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Anyone no how to remove inlays without making it look crap!

Iíve always liked the look of guitars with no inlays and there arenít many guitar that have this feature maybe except the Jackson Phil collen mode,l anyway I was wondering if there was anyway to remove the inlays from my fender squire strat without making it look crap, I mean if I get them out is there anyway to fill in where the inlay came out or anything, and how deep do you think the inlays are, if there wasn't much of a space were the inlay was then I would probably just leave it.
Thanks, I hope you guys can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:39 PM

You can't just leave it, it's at least 1/8" deep and it will have a center point in the middle usually from the bit. To remove them you can completely drill them out with an equal sized forstner drill bit. But usually I will take a smaller drill bit, maybe 1/8" and drill until I can feel I poked through it. Then usually a little wiggle on the drill bit will pop it loose, depending on the guitar. I wouldn't try that on pearl or abalone, just plastic. (Your squire has plastic) I assume it's a Rosewood fretboard, in which case you can fill with a dark wood filler, or replace them with black dots, which will seem to disappear. You can also cut plugs (with a special bit) from matching Rosewood, or you can mix Rosewood dust with epoxy for a custom paste filler with a short work time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

wow thanks for the info man thats awsome, yeah my fretboard is rosewood i'll have to eperiment with them and see what i'll put in the hole.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 AM

Try starting with the last fret with a dot. This way if you screw up a little there is less chance that you will feel it on a small fret. I use a small screw driver or tiny punch to remove the dots with a wooden hammer. With low end guitars the dot will sometimes pop out whole. Keep any of the pieces of wood that may come up. You can glue these back in very easily. Leave your inlay a bit higher so you can mill it down a bit with a razor blade. Just make sure you scrape with the grain of the wood and use lemon oil to reduce the amount of wood being removed from the fingerboard. If you mess up you can drill a bigger hole and try again!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:14 AM

the wood filler i showed you on that guitar i sanded down is all you'd need(comes in plenty of colours)

but if you went that way you'd want to take the frets out for sanding...
(cos the filler will be messy on the fretboard so you'd have to sand a larger area)

you could use dark wood chips with some epoxy or something to glue it in,
then use a dremel and some fine sandpaper to get it level(this would be possible without defretting)

or even some black perspex cut to size

oh and for getting them out i'd mix the above advise...
drill a hole in the inlay, then pop out using a small screwdriver
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:21 AM

the filler would be ok with frets in if you do a lot of masking off

(masking's probably a good idea no matter what you do, unless you defret and want to keep perfect level))

Tags
phil collen , rosewood fretboard , squire strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode