Anyone seen or heard of..... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Anyone seen or heard of.....

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a JEM style body with binding on the edges and on the monkey grip? I'm mentally sketching my next big project and I'm thinking a flat-top, bound body (emailed Perle already) will be the way to go.

If nobody knows of one, do you think binding lining the grip would work? Maybe some faux-binding? I dunno.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Re: Anyone seen or heard of.....

That's a pretty awesome idea I think. The binding would look tough on a JEM especially if you bound the monkey grip. Do you have any more plans for the build yet? Like body color/finish, neck maple/rosewood, pickups?

The reason I ask is I am getting ready to order a body from Perle. I havent decided whether to get a 540PII or a Voyager body. I love both body styles but I haven't made my mind up yet.

If you do order a body from them would you care to let us know about quality, service, etc?

Thanks man, from one hillbilly to another.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

The 10th has top edge binding.

Binding the grip is not really feasible if the grip is machined correctly (which it almost never is on aftermarket bodies). The grip has a very round radius compared with the edge of the body, so putting a binding there would be difficult.

Plus, as you can see on this 10th, there's not really enough room for two distinct bindings.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Ah! I see!

And Jasper, I'm working with Nate on this one also. He's been great about working out the ideas with me and I'm def. gonna go with him on this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Reviews: 18

Didn't the BRMR have a similar type of binding on the edges?

Jimmy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 2

As TAR showed in the pic, binding the grip would be massively difficult for many reasons and in the end would look like crap. I think that faux binding ala the RG3120 and most all of the J-customs would be the way to go.

Have the body built with a maple cap, paint it, then sand the paint away at the edges and grip to expose the cap. If it's being painted, the cap wouldn't even have to be bent around the arm contour. That area could be removed during CNC and not make any difference. I think that's the way I would do it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM

I agree with RGT. Faux Binding is really easy and it looks great.

This is something I was working on. It is basswood stained. I just put tape on the edges and stained the back & sides. I did not stained the top because as you can see I placed a veneer on it and I will use a different tone on top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode