To anyone who has used Gravity storms - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 AM

Re: To anyone who has used Gravity storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
...I just tried one in a mahogany J.Custom and I didn't like it at all. I found it to be kind of muddy in that guitar. I'm going to pull it and stick an EVO 2 in there. But I have Gravity Storms in two different basswood guitars ('99 JEM77FP and '10 RG1560) and it's a wonderful pickup in those guitars.
THAT!

I am sorry for practicing necromancy with this old thread, but I came here after a long session of googling "Gravity Storm Mahogany".

I also find my j-custom (mahogany body with maple top) muddy with the Gravity Storms, but the sound was great when I had them on a RG550LTD (basswood)

The reason I installed the Gravity Storm at the j-custom was that I preferred the tone of the RG550LTD with Gravity Storms over the 4x times expensive j-custom with Tone-Zone/AirNorton. And now it is even worst!

Have you finally installed the EVO-2 at the mahogany j-custom? What is your impression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Yes, put an EVO 2 in that particular guitar a while back and it's been great. Huge fan of that pickup in the J.Custom. Still haven't found a neck pickup I totally love in it. I have an Evolution Neck in there currently and am thinking about switching to a PAF Pro.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I dont have a maple top on it, but my RGR580DW has a mahogany body and I have 3 evos in it (Evo 1 bridge). They sound AMAZING, even the Evo neck.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yes, put an EVO 2 in that particular guitar a while back and it's been great. Huge fan of that pickup in the J.Custom. Still haven't found a neck pickup I totally love in it. I have an Evolution Neck in there currently and am thinking about switching to a PAF Pro.
I can second that! Evo2 in a J.Custom works very well and I too like it very much - nice and crunchy.
Please let me know when you finally switched to a PAF Pro and the how it changed the sound.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Thank you for the comments.
I will put the Tone Zone (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) back into the j-custom, Gravity Storms back into the RG550, and maybe I will try the EVO2 at the j-custom later.

Tags
gravity storm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode