Apex II Refinish - Particle Board? Huh!? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Apex II Refinish - Particle Board? Huh!?

My Ibanez Apex II is currently away being refinished in a natural/ebony stain (similar to an M8M). The guy just finished sanding the gross, green factory finish off and called to tell me that he found... get this...

... a layer of particle board on the headstock face (under the paint).

What the hell? Anyone heard of this before? How is putting a layer of particleboard on the face of a headstock, under the paint, cheaper/faster than finishing the guitar traditionally? Is there some other reason Ibanez would do this?

Removing said particle board would add money and time to the project, so I had to modify my plans, have him leave it in place, and lay solid black over it instead. Annoyed, but I need to stay within budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Re: Apex II Refinish - Particle Board? Huh!?

Pics?!?! Thats crazy! I wonder why they do this?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Pics?!?! Thats crazy! I wonder why they do this?
Heh, I asked Pat for progress pics a long time ago, and he never sent any. I think he's just really slammed (and why my next refinish job will go to LiveWire instead).

So, I doubt he'll send pics of this, but I did ask him for his theories on why they'd do this. I just don't see how this technique would be faster/cheaper than normal finishing.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Same, makes no sense!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've heard (never actually having taken a sander to one) that the JEM7V used to (and maybe still does) have a basswood laminate over the body in order to ensure that there's as little sinking as possible of the paint into the grain of the alder body.

Maybe this is the same sort of idea, to ensure a flat, grain free surface to paint...?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 PM

If that were the case, I doubt particle board would be anyone's 1st choice. Even a thin laminate from blank scrap would seem more appropriate.

-my 2 cents.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've heard (never actually having taken a sander to one) that the JEM7V used to (and maybe still does) have a basswood laminate over the body in order to ensure that there's as little sinking as possible of the paint into the grain of the alder body.

Maybe this is the same sort of idea, to ensure a flat, grain free surface to paint...?
Your info is correct (except that they use maple, not basswood) The maple veneer doesn't allow the finish to seep into the grain over many years. This is why you can see the grain in the finish of most old strats........ Alder is fairly porous.

You can see the maple cap on my UV. You just have to look close.

Maestro: I'd have to see pics to believe it's particle board. The would be as counter productive as using cardboard.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I've been doing some research, including posting this experience on other forums.

Turns out, the use of fiberboard (not exactly the run-of-the-mill kind we're all thinking of) isn't all that uncommon. Even Gibson and other high-end manufacturers have used this technique for years "to make the application of the finish to the headstock more uniform and allow for easier logo installation."

So there ya go.

Apparently, it's relatively easy to sand off too--moreso than the usual sealer/primer/etc. So, this sort of flies in the face of what the luthier told me, but unfortunately I took him at his word and instructed him to proceed with a solid finish on the headstock. Ah well, live and learn I guess. I'll be sending my next refinish project to someone else.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 AM

Yes, it is a fairly common practice as not to see the joints in the finish. I've seen the cap on a quite a few 5 piece neck headstocks but it definitely wasn't particle board that was used.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 AM

I took my RGA8 apart last night.
There is something funny with the wood on this thing.
Under the trem and in the neck pocket it looks like plywood.
It's not solid wood for sure.
I'm going to route it for a Dimarzio single coil and I need to fix the rear trem anchor too, it pulled out.
The darn thing was only in 1/4 in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode