Arm Hold Spring, needed? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Arm Hold Spring, needed?

Hi, I bought a RG1550 with an edge pro and it didn't had the arm hold spring. I don't feel I need it, the bar stays in the socket w/o problem. Is this spring really needed? I believe that if they put one there should be for something but I don't see which benefit it bring and if I should get one.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Arm Hold Spring, needed?

The spring should be on there. When your bar is in, the spring rests in the detent at the bottom of the bar. I don't know how the bar can stay in without it. I guess nice tight bushings can hold it for a time, but the bushings will wear out.........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM

the spring isn't needed. I have a few guitars that i took it out of. As long as the trem arm collar is tight in the baseplate/ nut on the underside if the baseplate is tight then you are good.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 AM

You can live without it if the bushings are doing their job well, i took the spring out of one of my rg1527's as it would squeak no matter how much I greased the indentation,stays in place fine with some ptfe tape
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I will stay w/o the spring for the moment. If I have the chance I will get one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:20 AM

heres a cool little tip ive learned over the years (if you have d addario strings u will love this) just get some of the wrapper that came with the string just enough to cover the trem arms hole get your whammy bar and press down may take a couple of trys but once you get it your whammybar will be so firm every time i love this trick! X)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

dartvader, you mean the plastica bag? Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvader View Post
heres a cool little tip ive learned over the years (if you have d addario strings u will love this) just get some of the wrapper that came with the string just enough to cover the trem arms hole get your whammy bar and press down may take a couple of trys but once you get it your whammybar will be so firm every time i love this trick! X)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM

yep!

Tags
edge , tremolo , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode