Arm and pickup selector switch - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Arm and pickup selector switch

I own a 2003 UV777BK which has the Edge Pro 7 trem which I use occasionally for the odd 7-String tune I enjoy.

Having read about the issue with studs I had these upgraded to the locking ones and a pro setup done some years back and the guitar was great.

Since then following a string change I've struggled a little with the tuning stability I believe this may be due to the nut and a string slipping under one of the pieces (I had a similar issue with my 03 Jem7VWH (also upgraded and setup) with the high E going flat which did seem to be that as that now seems stable. On the UV it is the "D" most effected with the high "E" and "A" next most effected.

Are these known for being particularly sensitive to the position of the locking pieces? Obviously it is a different arrangement with the large and two small pieces.

Finally the action on this guitar is amazingly low without noticeable buzz and no choking with multistep bends, however with the pickup selector in the middle position the bar only just clears this with the bridge at rest.

I was considering the carbon bar replacement as I like that on my JS and Jem but that is thicker...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: Arm and pickup selector switch

I did manage to resolve this issue as I realised looking at the photos available on Rich's site that the trem angle was still slightly off - it was difficult to tell as the marks on the side weren't very viable in the cavity with how low the Edge Pro sits. Having tightened the springs the arm now clears the pickup selector.

I also found the cause of the tuning instability as the low e saddle was too far forward and was contacting the back edge of the pick guard. I'm not sure if it was set this way when I took the guitar for a setup last time or if it had moved but moving it back so it didn't overhang the edge of the block fixed this and it doesn't appear to have knocked the intonation out much (it is now just very slightly sharp).

The only issue I have now is that pull up range is only a tone on the low B to the G and a semitone on the high B and E. This is because the back of the bridge is hitting the bottom of the cavity.

I'm not expecting the range of a Jem on pull ups but a little more that this would be nice.

Obviously raising the bridge height would help - it is sitting just below the pick guard level (1mm or so) but the trouble is the action is nearly perfect - nice and low with no real fret buzz apart from from the first few frets on the low B if I hit it harder and the 22nd fret on the high E if I do a wild bend.

From what I can read the only solution is to shim the neck up?

Tags
edge pro , setup , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode