Baritone PRS?? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Baritone PRS??

Ok, I might be crazy, but I'd really like to convert my PRS CE-24 to a baritone scale length of 26 1/4. I already priced a new custom baritone neck for it that I could just bolt on, but I was also thinking of doing some more drastic mods to get the same result while using the existing neck.

I would move the bridge and bridge pickup back enough to give me the scale I want, then just have a new fretboard made with the frets spaced accordingly for the new scale. Sure I'd lose a couple high frets, but I'm not too worried about that, it's for LOW notes, heh. I don't use the trem on it now, so I could just get an adjustable hardtail bridge for it and not have to re-rout a whole bunch of trem stuff, just drill holes for the new posts. Then, I could just fill in the old pickup and bridge spaces and re-spray the top.

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work?

Opinions needed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:52 PM

You're talking about three MAJOR mods to a guitar: Replacing the neck (and changing the scale length in the process), moving the pickups and the bridge, and converting it to a hardtail.

What is it about the guitar that you like so much that you're trying to preserve? It seems there isn't going to be much left of the original guitar, which begs the question...

Why?

Baritone is a tuning, not a scale length. Lengthening the scale is just a technique used to improve the tonal response as you lower the pitch of the strings. For low tunings, 26 1/4" is not going to add very much tension at all over the PRS's 25" scale... in my opinion, that relatively small amount of change would not be worth the significant degree of guitar surgery you are considering.

If you want a PRS-style baritone hardtail, i'd suggest you get a long-scale neck AND a new body, rather than destroying (and by destroying, i just mean changing irreversibly) your PRS neck and body. If you're tuning down to B (or lower) you might want to consider going with at least a 27" scale.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 04:00 AM

Try www.warmoth.com - They do PRS style bodies in any bridge/pickup route, in any wood - and they do baritone necks for all their guitars.
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I understand what you're saying Darren, it DOES sound like alot, but really it's just a matter of replacing the fretboard and filling in one pickup and bridge hole, routing a new one, and installing a PRS hardtail bridge.

And the reason I'd do all of this as opposed to building a brand new custom, is mostly because I just love the feel of the PRS body and neck. I just think that this guitar would be even better for me if it were a longer scale. Maybe you're right, Darren, I think 27" would actually be better.

The price is also a really big issue because I can do all the body work and install the new bridge myself, all I'd need to pay for is LGM or somebody to do the fretboard replacement and spraying the top a solid color, which would probably be close to the price of a new body alone.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 05:58 PM

Don't forget you'll have trem cavities to fill as well.

Another issue might be the bridge position. Moving the bridge back an inch and a half on a carved-top PRS might situate it on the curved part of the carved top, so you'd have to shim the bridge up so it sits level.

I still think it's a bad idea, but it can be done. And i'm sure Jeremy could do it, no problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I actually thought that might be a problem, but I was looking at it earlier and it didn't seem like it would present a problem, since the carve doesn't start until a little further back.

I'll have to give it some more thought before I do anything drastic though, it's not exactly a cheap guitar, lol! I'll be sure and post lots of pics if it does turn out good though. Thanks for the feedback man!

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , hardtail bridge , high frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode