Basic Ibanez Lo Pro Edge setup questions and discussion (with pics) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Basic Ibanez Lo Pro Edge setup questions and discussion (with pics)

Hey, guys! Got couple simple and probably obvious questions, with pics:

1) The first one is about string action. Here's a photo of 6th string (E) action on 12th fret:

So the thing is, since I don't have a point of reference, what will be considered the string action here - 2 mm (when the string "body" starts), or 2.3 mm (around the core of string), or even 2.5 mm (outer border of string)?
Would you consider this a good action? From what I read, it's fine. Have you heard what string action popular guitarists prefer? (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Petrucci, well you know the deal )

The 1st string (e) action is pretty obvious - 1.5 mm

2) How to setup string action on Lo Pro Edge tremolo, if I ever need to?
Surprizingly, there are barely any info on youtube, people skip this part in their tutorials completely for some reason. Would like to clarify, please!
I stumbled upon one manual, and it said that to setup height, you need to loosen Stud lock (some small part) with 1.5mm allen wrench, and then adjust that bigger 4mm part after that.

Is that correct? Should the strings be tuned down for this operation?

3) Now for the most complicated part. Ok, I like to play with whammy bar, in both direction, a lot. And would like to adjust it to the point of maximum efficiency. In Vai's 1984 lessons, he said, that he likes to setup his tremolo to the point at which a pitch could be brought up to it's 4th step in key. I managed to adjust the springs to the point, when 3rd string 5th fret harmonic (G) can be pitched with whammy bar up to it's 4th (C) with relative ease. Obviously, it doesn't work for other strings - 1st string barely moves to 3rd flat at the same position, and all other strings do random stuff, too. What would you say, which string and position should be taken as the point of reference?

Also, on one of his tracks, Alcatrazz - Painted Lover, at 0-29:
https://youtu.be/dSaMUfXMwv4?t=28s
you can hear that he does a 2nd string 5th fret harmonic (C in this tuning) and it goes to freakin' 5th (G). ( But maybe it's that small guitar seen at Alcatrazz Tokyo concert, and he does some bends at neck's head, no idea. )
Anyway, how do you setup your tremolo for this stuff? What's the biggest pitch on a certain position is it safe to adjust tremolo to?

And finally, just a pic of springs:

Thanks for any replies, looking forward to discussion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Re: Basic Ibanez Lo Pro Edge setup questions and discussion (with pics)

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

This has helped me alot on setting trems up, very useful information!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskil View Post
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

This has helped me alot on setting trems up, very useful information!
Very good, thanks, will read into that!
But it doesn't contain much of whammy bar pitch possibility info as I can see now... since it's more of an artistic than technical stuff, so still open for discussion, I guess
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

My thought is I'll adjust whammy bar so with 2nd string - 5th fret harmonic (B) - it'd go sharp up to F#... But that might be pushing it a little bit too far? I just don't know if it affects tremolo badly in some way or hurt strings a lot That's basically all I want to learn here. Any help?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

So here's what I came up with. Firstly, small guitar bends confirmed https://youtu.be/bgRl_Jy1f1I?t=29s

Next, I settled on 3rd string up to perfect 4th interval, 2nd string up to 3rd flat interval. Here are results:
https://soundcloud.com/ian_si/whammy_test

At this setting, tremolo angle seems reasonably "healthy", and strings don't suffer that much from those bends. No problems with going out of tune so far... Here are some pics anyway, how do you think, is this angle ok?

Flo seems to be even more angled (or about same), but Steve can afford to change strings for every show, while I cannot, yet http://www.vai.com/wp-content/galler...ront/flof3.jpg (although I haven't broke a string on my guitar for the last year or so)

Still, I would like someone commenting on string height from my 1st question, anybody?

Last edited by ianblack8; 04-13-2015 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:41 PM

I can only add my thoughts... keep in mind I'm not huge whammy bar user/abuser, mostly just a little vibrato or occasional "courtesy dive". My daddy told me when I was young that a gentleman never pulls up on his whammy bar or plays past the 22nd fret.

In your first post, people usually refer to their "action" measurement from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string, so 2mm on the low E. Thats a little higher than I prefer, but that is up to the idividual. I like mine set at around 2mm low E/1.5mm high E at the 22nd or 24th fret, if I can get that low without too much fret buzz, that is.

Good luck on getting it set up the way you like!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh, wow, I guess I am by no means a gentleman when it comes to guitar playing xD Honestly, am a wanker though, and trying to snap out of it, but generally can't help it. Always loved those wailing sounds.
Thanks for your contribution on string height subject, gotta think about it! I had this Ibanez for not so long now, and just went and measured string heights on my two older guitars - LP (which I had for years and years), and Strat, and they're both exactly 2 mm on 12th fret... Maybe need to re-measure more accurately, because it's a kinda remarkable consistency So it's comfortable to me, but perhaps, lower action could be good, too?..
Anyway, today is the restringing guitar day, so I'll look into it and will probably reply with some results. Thanks, FireEagle!

Tags
action , pitch , setup , string , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in