Basswood repair question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Basswood repair question

Ok all you pros, if I have a basswood body that has a small gouge in it where the wood is actually gone (like I cant steam it out) what do I fill it with. This would be for a stained finish not painted so it has to look as original as possible. I have tried "woodfiller" on different projects and have never really been happy with the results you could easily see the repair area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Basswood repair question

You answered your own question. If you're looking to stain finish, there's no real way to fix it so it doesn't show. The only option is to fill and veneer.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM

If the ding is small (not over .5") drill the ding out and tap in a basswood plug with like grain in the hole, then sand flush. You can almost make it disappear if you can find a plug that has similar qualities.

~JH
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
You answered your own question. If you're looking to stain finish, there's no real way to fix it so it doesn't show. The only option is to fill and veneer.
This^^^^

unfortunately, anything you do will show unless you fix the missing chunk and add a veneer.

If you want to go inexpensive- "Michaels" has birch veneers pretty cheap. You can always order one online too. but the birch looks good....... way better than basswood.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
If the ding is small (not over .5") drill the ding out and tap in a basswood plug with like grain in the hole, then sand flush. You can almost make it disappear if you can find a plug that has similar qualities.

~JH
That's SO hard to do though. the plug will be endgrain while the rest of the body is not. It's near impossible to stain match the two.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Ryc, I wish that didnt get swirled . I bet it would look great with a vintage violin burst style finish
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Ryc, I wish that didnt get swirled . I bet it would look great with a vintage violin burst style finish

Don't worry man, I have PLENTY more projects to go........
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Don't worry man, I have PLENTY more projects to go........
I'm doing a 7421 that will be a culmination of all the little things I did on other guitars......... it's either gonna be really cool, or a big flop
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm sure it'll be awesome mate.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, this ding is right on the sharp edge of an rg style body that is already stained, so I would be trying to repair and match existing stain, it is nothing I can veneer over or make a plug for. I did get one suggestion of sanding down some basswood taking the sawdust and mixing a little woodglue with it but Im not sure that would work either.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 AM

is that a burnt stained blue style finish? if so, do the wood filler and just "burn" that section of the horn lol
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
Sadly, this ding is right on the sharp edge of an rg style body that is already stained, so I would be trying to repair and match existing stain, it is nothing I can veneer over or make a plug for. I did get one suggestion of sanding down some basswood taking the sawdust and mixing a little woodglue with it but Im not sure that would work either.

I've done this with satisfactory results. try it on a spare piece of wood first to try it out. Actually I did it on a ongoing padauk build (thread soon) the sawdust is orange. I bagged a bunch of it up after jigs sawing just in case and I did end up using some as filler on one spot.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
is that a burnt stained blue style finish? if so, do the wood filler and just "burn" that section of the horn lol
This is what I would do too..........

I thought we were talking about a big chunk. This will NEVER be seen.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I thought about that also, but I was unsure how the heat would affect any fillers, might make them shrink or crack?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I thought about that also, but I was unsure how the heat would affect any fillers, might make them shrink or crack?
Maybe, but you can drop-fill it before doing the clear. It will be seamless. The same thing will happen with sawdust loaded glue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode