Becoming a Floyd/Edge Pro Master! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Vendor

Re: Becoming a Floyd/Edge Pro Master!

As if there's a standard for how hard you fret the string to begin with, strobe or whatever. You're assuming the bridge is actually moving anything more than hundreths.

I bought a Peterson and tested it against the way I've been doing intonation for years, results, not only was the strobe just an absolute PITA to read, it gained zero improvement, and was returned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 PM

OK, I'm very tired, apologies for my entry, was slightly backwards. Rugby game today... got hit quite hard in the head, think it's affectng my brain slightly...

What i meant is that basically if you do file the knife edges, or get the edge back on them, it's essentially like sharpenning a knife with a steel...If you do it too thin, yes you can blunt it, but by doing so you shorten the blade, (particularly evident in filleting knives, which are extremely thin for filleting fish) and if you make this mistake more than once (easily done if you're a beginner) you can mess the intonation up surely, because the distance from bridge to 12th fret is being decreased, and thus uneven from the distance from nut to 12th...

I'm not saying that you'd ever do that Rich, or that it's common, but it is possible.

I got there in the end i think (hope)
thanks
James
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Vendor

If you actually took that much off the knife that it did affect intonation, you have about a centimeter on adjustability built into the bridge
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM

shhh, i half realised that after writing, but thought if some saddles are right at the back of the bridge already, it could still just about be a problem.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Vendor

Quit thinking
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 PM

good idea.. 20 to 2 in the morning now...happy discusions everyone

sweet dreams
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Heat treating treats the entire thickness of the metal. The whole purpose is to trap the carbon atoms inside the molecular structure of the steel. You can't file through it.
Question about heat treated and plate hardened metals. The advice I was given about plate hardened trems referred to the OFR trem. Plate treating is chemically performed I think and only hardens about 20 thousandths deep into the metal.

Is the Lo Pro not plate hardened at all ? But heat treated steel ?
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Vendor

The baseplate of the lo pro is pot metal and not teeated in any way.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Bike chain lubricants are often wax based.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 AM

I used Rich's method of Chapstick, and the results were AMAZING! I spent months and months dealing with a non returning trem. After finding his website, I was shocked at how well a little dab did me.

Six
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

...ok folks, here's a new twist to the thread....TUNING.

I've noticed that bit by bit, my new 2550 is getting out of tune after the big dives and such. My microtuners are getting really low, and I have no play left in the high E. I figure it's cause the strings weren't sufficiently stretched during setup in the shop, what do you think?

I'll read around for ways to remedy, as I have the sites now, but is it possible to slack the tuners to 'reset' the microtuners, restretch, and live happily ever after? Or do I need to retune the whole guitar?

Come to think of it, those boys at the shop..I think they scammed me on the strings!...I requested Ernie Ball Hybrids, but they feel a bit stiff....I understand time is an issue during a setup as it's not a real booked shop time thing, but really...a proper setup with a floating trem seems KEY to keeping it in tune and happy!

Any suggestions?

Tags
edge pro trem , edge trem , equipped guitar , ernie ball , floyd trem , locking stud , locking stud mod , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , steel wool , string guage , strobe tuner , zero resistance trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode