Before, during and after! Build shots- lots of pics - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Before, during and after! Build shots- lots of pics

This thread is meant for anybody to post their details on builds worked on or working on, especially with kit type guitars. My goal it to make a nice looking, sounding, and playing kit guitar. I like to see progress! I'll start with 1 of 2 of my current projects. Here goes!
"S" style kit build-

I got this off of EBay for about $150. I know that kit quality has a reputation of questionable quality at best and it is well deserved. this one has glue marks that couldn't be sanded evenly or stained because of that. The neck it came with had bent frets, veneer vs caps blah, blah, blah. Whatever, this is for my 7 year old son and was my first attempt at building a guitar almost from scratch.

I wasn't a fan of the dragon inlay but my son really likes it so...

Ibanez "S" style- mahogany body and neck, flamed maple body veneer, very light cream binding around neck and body. I decided to make my own headstock shape, Ill get a shot of that later.

Here it is when it was almost complete the first time. you can see the headstock shape and the faux, painted on, binding effect I used on the head stock. It didn't look too bad at first, but I found the finish starting to crumble and flake off with the slightest impact and pressure... Sh_t! This was my round of finish with acrylics and lacquer. What a pain in the ass. the acrylic on the headstock never fully cured and when I tried to polish it, it just melted and started to ruin buffing sandpaper pads. Well I didn't like the brownish red color anyway.

Complete disassembly and back sanded

Reapply red finish and a couple coats of Tru-oil this time

I really like the way this is turning out this time. I decided at this point to make a quick technical change and converted the pick-ups to a direct mounted style

And that is where I am left. I used the left over V7 and V8 pickups from an RG570DX I used for parts. I am waiting for the 3way switch to come in the mail then I will wire it up as a 3way H-H with the middle pick-up being only a dummy pick up. I am not a fan of the h-s-h configuration and I'm not a wiring wiz so I'm just going to go as simple as I can. If I could have bought the kit in a H-H config I would have. So any way, I should be getting the switch in a day or two and hopefully fully together by this weekend. then will post some more picks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:43 AM

Re: Before, during and after! Build shots- lots of pics

Looking good so far. I like the new red color alot more than the original color you did.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Looking good so far. I like the new red color alot more than the original color you did.
Thanks! You know, that was a bad picture and it didn't do the color any favors but your right, I like the new red better too. First color was more of a burgundy almost brown. not like the picture shows. Anyway, I got the part i needed the other day and I am going to try to wire it up and get it all together today. then i will post more picks and tell you haw it sounds. As long as it stays playable it should sound pretty good with those Ibanez V8/V7s. for stock pick ups, those things sounded pretty good when they were in my RG570DX.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so now its done! I got the Ibanez V7/V8 pickups wired up to a 3way. They are pretty quiet and sound pretty killer in this guitar. like I said before, the middle pickup is just a dummy- there to fill the hole. I like the H-H config much much better. I'm not in love with the headstock, even though I'm the one who cut it out, but it look OK and super "metal". I kinda wish it would have been a bit more glossy but it is good for my sons first guitar. This way it wont get too beat up. Well anyway check it out, what do you think...

Tags
kit guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode