Best Foam to go Under Pickups? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Best Foam to go Under Pickups?

Regarding direct-mount pickups, have any of you found a type of foam that works especially well for pickup height adjustment? It needs to be soft enough to allow adjustment, but resilient enough to remain springy for a few years.

I've tried a lot of different types of soft foam, weather-stripping, etc. under pickups. All are about the same: they work well for awhile, until they give up the fight and become a useless flat pancake.

I've also tried little bits of surgical tubing just around the screws--but don't like that because I sometimes have issues with the tilt of the pickups.

So, I'm curious if any of you have found something that you feel works especially well for this type of thing. Maybe you've found a specific type of foam that is squishy enough to allow pickup adjustment, but maintains it's springiness for at least a few years. Or, maybe you do something totally different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Best Foam to go Under Pickups?

This stuff doesn't flatten but doesn't offer much adjustment.

i'm not sure how often or why you'd change pickup adjustment height except if changing string gauges. But you could add springs as well to give some adjustability.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Vendor

Weatherstripping from Lowes, I think I have 3/8". It's dense enough but pliable enough and a roll will last you 100 guitars.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:46 PM

I asked this same question long ago and Google took me here:
Pickup Foam - 8" piece - Best Bass Gear

It probably is not the best foam but it is good enough to allow me to not think about the foam under my pickups for long periods of time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Vendor

That's 1/2" weatherstripping
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, weatherstripping is the old standby--and I've definitely used my share. I was just curious if there was anything better out there, otherwise I'll be picking up another roll this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode