Big Brass block , just a question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Big Brass block , just a question

so i installed the block on the trem all good and fine ...
bright tone ... loud tone ! , and got some sustain ...

now since the block is like 2 times bigger than the original block
my trem can only dive now ...
i mean i cant pull my trem anymore cause the block hits the wood ..

so is there any way to handle with that , without cutting off any wood ?
or will i have to live with dive only ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 AM

Re: Big Brass block , just a question

Well, where's light, there's shadow!
Cut wood or remove the block. No way around it, unless you set it in a ridiculous forward angle, to get more space for pulling up. That'll make the trem unstable and reduces space for dives then.

Hence: --> either less wood or less block material. ......or live with dives only.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Reviews: 120

Is this in an Edge III equipped Indonesian built Ibanez? Their cavities seem a little smaller than older models, and Japanese made models in general. I've installed a couple of brass blocks and had no issues. Just take a bit of wood out with a Dremel or sandpaper on a small block. No Ones going to see it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: Big Brass block , just a question

+1
LonePhantom

did the something on my Jem and rg550.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Is this in an Edge III equipped Indonesian built Ibanez? Their cavities seem a little smaller than older models, and Japanese made models in general. I've installed a couple of brass blocks and had no issues. Just take a bit of wood out with a Dremel or sandpaper on a small block. No Ones going to see it.
uhm nope :P .. its an old Kramer striker 100st ... american built..
with a schaller non locking floyd , seymour duncan jb at the bridge ... no further pickups , just the jb .. rosewood fretboard , shaller locking nuts on the neck ...
pretty decent guitar for the price/age ..
but more of a sentimental value for me ...

so i guess i stay with dive only ... i pretty much dont like the idea of
"cutting" my guitar :P ..

thanks a lot guys
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Reviews: 12

Phantom you've done a few big brass blocks, I have zero pullup on my two remaining tuiars with a big block, whats the best way to cut into the cavity, I dont want to go too deep, do I need to cut square or can I just dremel the route at an angle so the block can go deeper?

I dont think I'd need to cut much out...just a slight indent into the body where the brass block touches when pulling up...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 PM

I had to cut away a section to install a big block on one of my guitars. I cut in at a slight angle using a drill then finished off with sand paper. Took about an hour. Looks fine and no interference on pull ups. So worth it! These really sound amazing. Now have them installed on all my Floyd trem guitars.
Just to mention, I also use a product called saddle singers which sound wonderful with the brass big block but they don't fit all Floyds.
My Floyd equiped guitars are now the best sounding guitars I own in respect of acoustic volume, resonance, response and sustain and that's with the trems floating.
Definitely worth removing a little wood as a Floyd that can't pull back isn't really what they're about I suppose.
Happy routing!

Tags
brass block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode