Big time neck issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Big time neck issues

So, I've heard this happens from time to time with original wizard necks. I have a bad bump on my one Rg 550, so basically the neck is like an s shape, and probably impossible to get straight. It has back bow a tad from 24 to 6, and from 1 to 5, the frets are bowed up, therefore correcting the back bow from 24 to 6, would definitely make the lower frets unplayable. Even where it is now, open chords are not happening, and frets 1-3 have severe buzz. I know the nut has at leasts three shims so far, and I believe the neck has a shim in it too, to help correct the backbow. I had the guitar setup so the frets are level, and the tech claimed I should probably look for a new neck Hopefully I can hear different here, I figured the most common would be probably to pull the frets, and reradius the neck, but if there are any other options please point them out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Big time neck issues

I think that fret pulling and radiusing is probably the only option, short of replacing the fret board.

I have a neck like this, and with careful fret dressing and shimming it is just about playable.

I think the easiest thing to do is find a new neck personally.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Not being able to see what you actually have going on, I would find a replacement as well.

If you can take pics with a good straight edge against your board, that would help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
I think that fret pulling and radiusing is probably the only option, short of replacing the fret board.

I have a neck like this, and with careful fret dressing and shimming it is just about playable.

I think the easiest thing to do is find a new neck personally.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 2

It should be fixable in most cases.
If it's not drastic and you have enough life left in frets, leveling them down and re-crowning should help. For more than few tenths of a millimeter, pulling the frets out, leveling fingerboard and installing new frets is the way to go, as Nik mentioned. I had a minor neck wrapping issue with my squier and radiusing the fingerboard solved it.
Cheers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll post a picture up in a bit. I would like to save the neck as it is a maple wizard, and I don't see them too often anymore other than a very high price.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Reviews: 13

Yep, definately time for a pro to take a look. In Sydney we have 'Sydney Guitar Setups' and they have this funky machine to set necks, intonation etc. You need a place like that where you are, or at least try to find one.

-Wolfram
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I'll look for a luthier with these resources. Any idea on the costs?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk321 View Post
I'll look for a luthier with these resources. Any idea on the costs?
A re-fret plus a bit. I guess in the UK you are talking maybe 150 depending on where you go.

Since it is a maple board I think you are exactly right. Too rare not to fix.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 AM

150 pound? You could buy a new maple neck for that surely?

I would hope it is cheaper to repair than 150 pound.

I have not had to get this sort of work done so I could not give you an accurate price.

-Wolfram
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:35 AM

Refrets in the UK range between 100-130. Then you are talking reprofiling. I guess it does vary. No idea what it costs in the US or Oz

I have never paid that much myself I have to say but that is the range of prices I have seen quoted.

Maple necks are pretty rare TBH.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Refrets in the UK range between 100-130. Then you are talking reprofiling. I guess it does vary. No idea what it costs in the US or Oz

I have never paid that much myself I have to say but that is the range of prices I have seen quoted.

Maple necks are pretty rare TBH.
wow, they are some crazy prices. I would go for a new neck with prices that high....

-Wolfram
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm in the US, though I still think it would be alot.. As long as the board was reshaped and the frets were installed, I have no issues with doing a fret job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode