Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Binding and Finishing - How to?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jem7vwh 
#1 ·
I am curious to know if there is any info available regarding binding and finishing a guitar body.  How to do it?  Is binding too difficult for a wood shedder?

#2 ·
Binding and Finishing

I'd advise going down to your local library and seeing what books they have on guitar construction and/or repair. There are a few good ones available.

Stewart-MacDonald also have several good titles available from their site, and quite possibly some instructional videos as well.

#3 ·
Binding and Finishing

I figured that answer was coming! :)

I didn't phrase my first question properly, I guess what I am really curious about is this: when is the guitar painted, before they bind the body or after?

My situation is this: I can have a body finished by my bass player, but he can't do binding. So I am trying to find out if I can have someone bind the body and then have it painted by the bass player.

I can't seem to find my Stew Mac catalog! Thanks!

#4 ·
Binding and Finishing

The body is painted, the binding chanel is cleaned, then the binding is glued in, the body is finish wet sanded to level the binding edges and the whole thing is cleared.

Binding is a bitch. You really need to make sure every inch of the binding is clamped or rubberbanded tightly.

Good luck....let me know how it turns out. I have a charvel body the needs binding:biggrin:.

J>

#7 ·
Binding and Finishing

contrary to what's been said above, my luthier always told me he routes for the binding first, smooths everything out and then lacquers. They he uses a little sanding paper to rough up the edges that the binding will sit on. Then he glues in the binding. ahh, whatever. they'll probably both work fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.