Bizzare Truss Rod Situation, Need Help! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Bizzare Truss Rod Situation, Need Help!

I have a Jem 7VWH that I bought new about three years ago. When it arrived, the action was high and the trem was tilted forward. After I adjusted it, it played fine so I didn't need a truss adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Vendor

I reject alot of VWH's for the same reason, neck too straight and won't come into enough relief.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I actually bought it from you Rich. Is this something that a qualified tech could fix?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:24 PM

So long as you're not in a backbow, there's nothing really to "fix" other than you'd like to know if you needed to, you could get a little more bow out of it. To fix it you need to get some bow into the neck. I use heat and pressure. You're not just trying to make the wood shift as much as you're loosening the glue joint between the neck and fretboard, so when it hardens again it's hardening in a bowed position. But you never really know what you're going to get when you do that. It can be a temporary or permanent solution. A totally permanent solution is to wait until you need a refret, and then either open the slots a little or use smaller tanged frets. Then the neck would be "weakened" enough to pull into a slight bow under string tension. Some guys would just plane the bow into the board, either with a neck jig that simulates tension, or by levelling the board with the truss rod torqued. That's alright, but not my choice. If you wanted to do a fret level with tension or a tightened rod, I'd say that could be your best intermediate and least destructive fix. If it still plays like you want it to, but with too much low E noise, that's the best fix.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle2
I actually bought it from you Rich. Is this something that a qualified tech could fix?
Then it should have plenty of relief. Surprising you say the trem angle was off and action was high. Who is this?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Surprising you say the trem angle was off and action was high. Who is this?
Do you want my name?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Vendor

It would help LOL
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I'll PM you then
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Vendor

OH, 3 YEARS ago, here I'm looking through records 3 weeks ago!
3 years ago I almost never personally setup new guitars, only used. That changed when I got a return on a guitar that had been drop shipped and discovered the "perfect setup" that was supposed to be done on it was crap. Everything passed through my hands from that point on.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

After reading my options, it looks like a fret level is my only realistic option. Probably followed by an E-Bay auction.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Vendor

Well it had enough relief [I guess] that you never even tried adjusting the truss rod for 3 years
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it was weird, it was the only guitar I had that didn't need a tweek twice year to change with the seasons. I now know why.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Vendor

It's always been in full relief. VWH's what whatever reason have very strong necks!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle2
...followed by an E-Bay auction.
The guitar isn't a lemon or anything, it's perfectly normal for ebony to expand more or shrink less than the maple. Its very strong. In my opinion, I'd rather have a neck that didn't need any truss rod pressure than one you had to crank. Over the life of the guitar, it should pull into more relief, not less. After a good level it sounds to me like it would be a perfect guitar, certainly not one you'd "dump"

For the nut to be loose(ish) could also be a slight shrinking of the maple over time. That's how tuner nuts get loose, too. It doesn't mean there was that little pressure on the nut when you bought it. On a new guitar the maple only has to shrink by a few thousandths or so across the entire length of the rod to make a loose nut. If the ebony isn't shrinking at the same rate (or at all) it would keep the neck straight over that time.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM
dex

If you are only after 0.1mm extra relief my advice would be to go for 10s or at least a hybrid set for a while - just try a few weeks.
I'm pretty sure the hybrid 9s will do it (if you play 9s - otherwise go for hybrid whtever you play) and you'll be happy.
Also the extra tension that .48 will have over .42 will reduce the buzz anyway so you are killing 2 birds with........wel you know how that goes.

ilia

Tags
fret level , string tension , trem springs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode