Blocking trems - Thinking of doing this for detuning purpose - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Blocking trems - Thinking of doing this for detuning purpose

Okay guys, here's the plan....after I procure my new 7DBK, I am going to invest in a couple of RGs, probably a 570, 550, or 520....this is what I plan to do....I plan to have three RGs, each in a different drop-d derivative tuning, just for ease of playing onstage....I plan on blocking the trems on all of these, and having them in drop-d, drop-c#, and drop-c, respectively. *I assume that blocking the trem will allow me to tune these all accordingly, with whatever gauge strings I choose, and with ease.....I want the RGs because of the tuning stability of the Edge trem....I assume I will still reap the benefits of the Edge, even though the trem isn't particularly "in use"? *Am I correct in my assumptions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 05:16 PM

Blocking trems

Some say trems have better tuning "stability" over fixed bridges. I find this completely misleading as a fixed bridge setup right should have NO tuning problems. Assuming everything else with the guitar works the way it should.

Now one piece of advice I would give you is to forget the trems and get 3 RG421's. If you REALLY want to add tuning stability (or peace of mind), add some locking Sperzals.

Another option is that if you do stick with trem-equipped guitars, you should be able to setup each to whatever tuning you want and still have use of the trem. The only 2 things you might have to compromise with is string gauge and trem stiffness. If you can't find a happy medium with that or simply would rather have the trem blocked then go right ahead and you should have no problems. You can also use pretty much any string gauge you want and still set the trem at the right angle. Another big plus is that you could setup the guitars this way for now and down the road if you decide you want to use the trems you can just unblock it and set it up.

Tags
edge trem , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , gauge strings , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode