Blue velvet vs. Jem single coils - Differences? Anyone? Anyo - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Blue velvet vs. Jem single coils - Differences? Anyone? Anyo

Merry Christmas, Jemsters!

Having received X-mas funds to upgrade my guitars (a Christmas dream come true), I'm working on upgrading my RG-1200 to evolutions w/ a blue velvet. Has anybody else done this? How does the blue velvet compare to the Jem single coil (in terms of perceived output level and/or overall tone)?

Any comparisons to the VWH, BSB, or DBK tone would be helpful, since all of those Jems have graced my presence at one point in time.

Thanks much!
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 09:53 AM

Blue velvet vs. Jem single coils

The Jem single coil is very simaler to DiMarzios HS-2. Below are the specs strait from the 2000 cataloge.

HS-2(Jem Single) :
Output * * * * * - 90mlv
Treble * * * * ** - 7.5
MidRange * * * *- 5.5
Bass * * * * * * *- 5.0
DC Resistance - 14.97k

Blue Velvet Bridge :
Output * * * * * - 153mlv
Treble * * * * * *- 8.5
MidRange * * * *- 5.0
Bass * * * * * * *- 4.0
DC Resistance - 7.05k

Blue Velvet Neck :
Output * * * * * - 120mlv
Treble * * * * * *- 9.0
MidRange * * * *- 4.5
Bass * * * * * * *- 3.5
DC Resistance - 6.08k
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 10:42 AM

The HS-2 is ***NOT*** the "JEM Single". *

(Once again) here's how the single coils in the JEM guitars goes:

•If you have PAF-Pros, the single coil is custom-made to match the PAF Pro's.
•If you have Evolutions, the single coil is custom-made to match the Evolutions.
•If you have Breeds, the single coil is custom-made to match the Breeds.
Each matched s/c is different than the other. *They are custom built for Ibanez (for the JEM guitars only) and are NOT available to the general public.

Example: the s/c from a DBK won't match up very well when dropping it in an FP or *VWH. *
And vice-versa: the s/c from a VWH won't match the h/b's in an LNG or a DBK.

That being said, the HS-2 is a close match to the s/c's found in PAF-Pro-equipped JEM's.

(Information courtesy of the #2 man at DiMarzio)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:16 PM

The PAF Pro version sc pu might be closer to the DiMarzio FS-1, I recall seeing one RB Jem with one. *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Having FINALLY complete this project, here's my $0.02.

Although I love the VWH, I've always found the middle pickup position pretty useless in terms of output. Good tone, but not enough output.

The evolutions combined with the Blue Velvet is awesome. All of a sudden, all 5 pickup combinations are relatively consistent in output level. The tone is great. I'm considering (although I really don't enjoy rewiring guitars) putting a Blue Velvet into the VWH.

--Brent
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:22 PM

What about the single-coil in Japanese PGMs? I was led to believe that's a JEM single as well. If that's the case, I assume it's the "PAF Pro" one, but I have no JEM to compare it against.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 02:36 PM

So, if I wanted to put Breeds in my Jem Floral, it wouldn't work? *or it just wouldn't react with the 2 and 4 pup positions like I think it will?
What if I tried it anyway?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 03:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
So, if I wanted to put Breeds in my Jem Floral, it wouldn't work? *or it just wouldn't react with the 2 and 4 pup positions like I think it will?
The Breed neck and bridge would work GREAT in a Floral. They worked great in my 7PBK. Forget the specs and use your ears as a guide. I don't have output measurement on the JEM single coil from every year/model but they are all about the same to my ear and much lower output than their respective matching pickups. Maybe DiMarzio can supply this. Until then they are sort of confusing the issue with incomplete and perhaps incorrect information... glen

Tags
blue velvet bridge , paf pro , pickup combination

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode