Bobbin Top Mod .. Pics - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Bobbin Top Mod .. Pics

Ok guys just thought i would share the following mod.. i know there are other ways of doing this... but... Painting them is messy for me.. i would end up with more paint in my hair than on the pickup... the sticker way of doing it is too expensive for what they are, specially here in the UK... plus from what i can see you cant re use the stickers if you swap pickups in the future, with this method you can re use them, plus i got all the covers 3 knobs and a switch tip all for cheaper than paint and stickers... anyway here goes i hope it helps someone out.

Ok.. first off here is what i used,,, strat pickup covers.. string spacing Bridge 52mm.. Middle pickup 50mm and neck 50mm.. MORE ABOUT SPACING LATER so look out for that

Now you need to cut the tops off the covers as per pic below... dont cut close to the top as you need to leave a little room to account for the melting plastic... a variable speed dremel might help here... lower speed less heat.

This is what you should be left with... all those raggy bits just snap off with your fingers

You will see in the next pic that there is a lip left all the way around the cover... you need to sand that off... dont worry its real easy as the plastic real soft to sand.. so go easy.

Now lay a sheet of heavy grit sand paper on a hard flat surface, use even pressure when sanding and the lip will sand evenly.. WARNING LOL.. keep checking every now and then or you will sand the whole top away lol

The next pic shows the top with the lip sanded off.. pretty neat i say lol

Once you have done all five tops you should have this

Ok.. the string spacing on INF pickups is slightly off... either that or my new covers are slightly off from what they are advertised as.. SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM... i tired them on a regular open coil PAF pickup and they lined up fine... although the holes in the new covers seem a little small... they still fit but like i said seemed small to me..... either way i needed the holes a tiny bit bigger in the new covers. Below pic shows a cheap reamer from an old hobby of mine.. worked wonders for opening the holes slightly

After i enlarged the holes i simply stuck them on with double sided tape. these are easily transfered to other pickups which was the whole idea here
This may seem a mess on to some but now they are made i dont need anymore... they are a one time deal i think.. anyway hope this helps someone.... b4 and after pics coming as i was only allowed to post 7 pics.

Last edited by Agenthoover; 08-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Re: Bobbin Top Mod .. Pics

Reamer pic... and b4 and after shots

Before

After
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM

nice job.. they look real and much better than stickers...

Congrats,
Nelson
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Great ingenuity and result! They do look better than stickers.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys... i will try and get some better pics up tomorrow... its night here so bad light plus there are a few raggy ends in the pole holes from where i trimmed the double sided tape.. it will only bug me lol so might aswell do it right lol
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM

nice work they look alot better then whats on the market..congrats bro
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Go buy a bunch of colored singlecoil covers in bulk, do your mod--and you may have a market niche.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Lol... there has gotta be a better way of becoming a millionare lol... i missed the rockstar boat too lol... they are simple enough to make.. it took me a few hours but i was also taking pics and getting interupted.. once people discover how simple it is i think i would end up bankrupt lol
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM

BRILLIANT!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

It's better than stickers and obviously would last forever but you should sand till they get thinner, pole pieces looks like inside of them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

It must just be the way the pic is... they are pretty much flush.. either way you can highten the poles and lower the pickup to compensate.. can you not ??
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenthoover View Post
It must just be the way the pic is... they are pretty much flush.. either way you can highten the poles and lower the pickup to compensate.. can you not ??
Well I think it's easier sanding them a little beat more than highting all poles then lowering all pups, besides that there are people who never touch poles cause they believe it might screw up their pickups or tone, some people even count how many turns they gave to be able to turn them back to the same position, you know crazy people they are

If it doesn't bother you.................leave it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Nah.. im happy the way they are tbh... you could sand them a little thinner but not much.. anyway its back together now and sounds no different to me... jobs a gud 'n' as they say.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM

good job
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM

Reviews: 34

Looks nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode