Bolt On vs Neck-Thru - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 AM
adil2552

Exclamation Bolt On vs Neck-Thru

What do you opt for and why?
Pros/ Cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Re: Bolt On vs Neck-Thru

Neck thru, easyer acces to upper frets and good vibrations transmission to the body!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Bolt on for me.

A good bolt on will sustain just fine, and if the neck is damaged, the whole guitar isn't ruined. It's also much less expensive.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 18

I wouldn't mind owning a neck-through. In my mind, I've always thought of neck-throughs as very high-end instruments. Although there are pros and cons to owning either type of instrument, a neck-through guitar will give you the kind of sustain that lasts for days.

Jimmy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 PM

I've never really understood the tonal pros a bolt-on might have over a neckthrough. Anyone up to the task of explaining? As far as neckswapping goes, it's such a negligible and chance-oriented part of the argument that it's void...
I prefer neckthroughs because they give better access to higher frets when carved right, and that they seem to have beefier sustain. I haven't heard a night vs day difference in the tone, nor have I played a really enjoyable neckthrough (especially when you're playing painted Schecter NT's vs. Ibanez bolt-ons, the best bolt-ons in the biz), but I'd love to play an Ibanez-made neckthrough! I really thing that'd give all bolt-ons a proper run for their money.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 AM

bolt on and neck through guitars pros n cons
bolt on neck thru
easier access to upper frets N(Y if ibanez AANJ neck joint) , Y
replacement due to damage Y , N
economical Y , N
control of neck body angle Y , N
quality neck alignment Y N(if sloppy construction , Y
but can be fixed) (but if NO
can be fixed but costlier)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 PM

I have a Jackson Soloist neck-thru. It does get some good sustain. But im at loss cause it's fixed bridge and slim body. The slim i've noticed doesn't produce a certain sound that normal does.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 34

Bolt on (or set neck actually)

I prefer the bite of a bolt on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL88 View Post
I have a Jackson Soloist neck-thru. It does get some good sustain. But im at loss cause it's fixed bridge and slim body. The slim i've noticed doesn't produce a certain sound that normal does.
I had an SL2h Jackson soloist,,,,,,and the neck thru was cool,,,but the Jackson USA neck is quite a hunk of wood! Compared to my Ibanez guitars with the nice slim necks and AANJ,,,,,I'm just so at ease on an Ibanez. I sold the soloist, because as beautiful and great sounding as it was, the thick painted neck really hindered my playing. To get a soloist made to my specs,,,i.e. thin neck, multi piece neck for stability, etc.....we're talking an extra $2000 to the soloist price just for a custom shop with these options. Why would I do that when Ibanez already makes perfect guitars for my hands?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 2

I think we just covered this recently...........

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f14/bo...ru-109242.html
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 PM

I go back and forth on which I like more ever couple years. A neck thru feels more resonant and "solid" to me, but nothing has that snap and attack you get from a bolt-on. My "go to" neck thru guitar is a Jackson SL2H, it has always felt like home to me, but I am also comfortable on bolt-on necks with good upper fret access via an aanj, suhr bolt-on, or even the setup on caparisons.

One thing I have noticed is pinch harmonics seem to come out easier on a bolt-on rather than a neck-thru, but a neck-thru or even set neck has more depth to the tone in my ears.

Tags
neck thru , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode