bridge angle after string change: not the usual question! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

bridge angle after string change: not the usual question!

When I change the strings on my lo-pro edge, I put a piece of wood under the floyd (right under the fine tuners) so it can stay in the correct position while I take out all the strings at a time (for fretboard cleaning and oiling purpouses). Then I re-string, tune (for about 15 minutes! ) to pitch and take out the wood piece. The problem now is that, even if I haven't put on strings of different gauge/brand than before, my bridge is SLIGHTLY angled forward or backward (so I need to tighten my springs). So what causes this? I've read million of times the jemsite how-to and others...
Sorry for the boring question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 05:58 AM

same thing happens to me. i think it's because i don't wait long enough for them to stretch. the answer might be to put the strings on, tune roughly to pitch and let it sit for a day or two. that is mentioned in the tech section.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
i think it's because i don't wait long enough for them to stretch. .
You do realize they don't stretch themselves?

Alot of times the bridge isn't at the right angle when you start and usually needs at least a tweak by the time most people change strings. Stretching strings will also thin every string changing the tension. You also have to consider not every string is going to be a perfect match, not like quality control is to the 10 thousand'th or anything.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 01:03 AM

[quote="Rich"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
i think it's because i don't wait long enough for them to stretch. .
You do realize they don't stretch themselves? oh, i thought that when they were put to tension they stretched.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Vendor

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 04:43 PM

oh, i do all that stuff on your page when i'm tuning it. i just thought there was a period of time to leave them before locking down the nut, as metioned in the jemsite tech section.

i think the bending of the strings, which you call stretching, is really more just pulling out any slack left on the tuner.

Tags
pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode