Bridge Humbucker for Strat - Help me choose one - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Bridge Humbucker for Strat - Help me choose one

Ok... so my friend is coming from the States, and i'm thinking about asking to bring a humbucker... I'll use it for my strat, but as soon as get an RG, i'll move the pickup to it... So it has to be F-spaced... Will a Fspaced work on a normal trem guitar like a strat? I'm considering a dimarzio or a duncan. Pickups i have in mind are a Duncan Custom, Duncan Distortion or Fred. Any suggestions are welcome. Another question... are Evolution's available with gold pole peices? or only in the 7VWH? If i can't decide on a humbucker, i'll probably go for a set of texas's specials ( expensive ). Cause I dream of an RG with purple Dimarzio's. And a purple one would not look good on my black, with gold pickguard and white single coil strat. Is it just me or Dimarzios match Ibanez guitars the same way Duncas match Strats? It just seems wrong to my head, Dimarzio + strat... Of course this is a purely cosmetic, and and "pointless" comment... Ah... sorry for the excessive nonsense, what i seek is what everybody seeks... TONE... decent tone for my guitars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:38 PM

Bridge Humbucker for Strat

what tone do you want? what music do you play?

BTW, the F-space will actually match string spacing better in a strat, so no problem there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 11:52 PM

Reviews: 5

The best humbucker for a Strat, in my opinion, is the JB.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 01:05 AM

I'm on board with Carlos, I would never replace the Duncan JB in my Strat. *I am also of the opinion that DiMarzio pups should go with Ibanez guitars and Duncan pups should go with Fender... but that's just me. *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

It's good to know i'm not the only one that thinks that way ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 11:31 AM

Tone Zone or a PAF Pro. *I used a PAF Pro in my Custom Shop strat and it sounded really good with the Texas Specials in the mid and neck position.

The other thing you'll need to think about is the wiring schematic. *The 5-ways in strats are a lot different than those which you'll find in an RG or Jem. *I used a mega switch and tried to get as colse to the split five wiring as I could (realizing of course that the neck pickup was not humbucking.)

On the JB, I had one in my first RG550 and it worked really well.

The F-Spacing doesn't make that much of a difference - it's been talked about a thousand times, but doesn't the F stand for Fender anyhow? *(I may be wrong)

One last note - *the old "Floyd Rose Classic" strats came with a PAF Pro as stock equipment.

(Edited by kirk at 10:33 am on June 16, 2001)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 11:38 AM

I've got a Super Distortion in mine and I like it because it gives me a good blend of rhythm and lead sounds. *
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 01:29 PM

Kirk, when I added the JB to my Strat, I followed the wiring diagram for the LoneStar Strat. *This mod uses the standard strat 5-way switch:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/lonestar.html

BTW, I thought F-spacing meant "F"loyd Rose spacing.
- Andy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 04:52 PM

there's a lot of different ways to say it. "F"ender spacing "F"loyd Rose Spacing "F"loyd spacing "F"arther spacing. Either way you say it it'll still be the same measurements
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 06:12 PM

An emg81 or an sd invader would be perfect.:biggrin:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Quote: from Karmann on 5:14 pm on June 15, 2001
Ok... so my friend is coming from the States, and i'm thinking about asking to bring a humbucker... I'll use it for my strat, but as soon as get an RG, i'll move the pickup to it... So it has to be F-spaced... Will a Fspaced work on a normal trem guitar like a strat? I'm considering a dimarzio or a duncan. Pickups i have in mind are a Duncan Custom, Duncan Distortion or Fred. Any suggestions are welcome. Another question... are Evolution's available with gold pole peices? or only in the 7VWH? If i can't decide on a humbucker, i'll probably go for a set of texas's specials ( expensive ). Cause I dream of an RG with purple Dimarzio's. And a purple one would not look good on my black, with gold pickguard and white single coil strat. Is it just me or Dimarzios match Ibanez guitars the same way Duncas match Strats? It just seems wrong to my head, Dimarzio + strat... Of course this is a purely cosmetic, and and "pointless" comment... Ah... sorry for the excessive nonsense, what i seek is what everybody seeks... TONE... decent tone for my guitars
About ten yers ago i replaced the brige pickup from my Strat with an Gibson Dirty Fingers humkucker
And it sounds great i have used it on stage and also lots of times in the studio ( i do use hughes & kettner tube amps & celestion speakers 4*12 & boss overdrive
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 08:33 PM

I'd say that you can't go wrong with a Duncan JB. I love that pickup. If it wasn't against God's will, I'd marry one. :loco:

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio pups , duncan distortion , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , super distortion , tone zone , trem guitar , tube amp , tube amps , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode