Bridge and parts question for leftie Les Paul - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Bridge and parts question for leftie Les Paul

a friend recently bought a class 5 Les Paul (top looks like the Joe Perry sig. model) and needs to replace some of the parts due to corrosion. the guitar is only 2 yrs old and the original owner was a complete dolt. he did not take care of this guitar AT ALL!! there are only a couple really small bumps on the top but the harware looks like hell. the idiot put a screamin' demon pup in the bridge - if this gives you an idea of what the original owner put this poor guitar thru.
i think the two chrome covers i have laying around will work (WD) to recover the pups. the original pup is getting reinstalled. the original tuners look like crap but there are sperzels currently installed on the guitar which will probably stay for now. i need to find a Historic Gibson case NEW as well - the case is trashed!
i need to know what to replace the bridge pcs with and as much of the other harware as possible (pup switch ring and nut for the switch). the guitar is left-handed. who has the best prices for real Gibson parts and which parts do i get to try and keep this guitar as true to original specs as possible?
at least the orginal documentation is there - otherwise it would be hard to tell this is a class 5 Gibson.
the original owner should have bought an Epiphone the way he treated this guitar and he stated that it was used as his 2nd guitar for a backup!! i can only imagine what his main guitar looks like!!
my friend got this guitar for just over 2k - which i guess getting a lefty isn't that easy anyways and these sell for 3.5k new if you find one.
thanks for any info in advance.
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:06 AM

As far as i know, Tune-o-Matic bridges and stop tailpieces are ambidextrous... there's no special part needed for left-handed guitars. You just have to reverse the saddle positions for intonation, and that's it.

Is your friend looking for OEM parts to return it to stock condition, or "upgraded" parts to improve it a bit?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

he's looking to OEM the guitar. i was telling what little i know about tone pro bridges but he is wanting to go OEM.
stupid question - on stop tail guitars, does it matter which way the screws face on the bridge as i have seen them both ways?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa

Tags
joe perry , les paul , matic bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode